Vegan Bbq Jackfruit Salad with cashew dressing
Hello & Happy Friday!!
This week has been very eventful with countless recipes being created! (I think I hit upwards of 20) With the gorgeous weather upon us I’ve been making a concerted effort to create modern vegan salad concepts. While I love a simple bowl of greens packed with whatever I have in my fridge, the creative ones are the most fun!
Ironically, salads are one of the least fun recipes to create a tutorial for. The angles are hard to capture, it’s an obstacle to make process look interesting, and photography can be such a hassle once you have the salad dressed and ready. (I’ll be not dressing them and just doing a drizzle in the future lol) Basically every minute the salad sits, it starts to lose it’s shape and vibrancy, and it can be a struggle to make it look as good as it does in person! #photograhystruggleisreal
However, the world needs more modern nutrient dense salads, and this is one for the books!
I don’t always work with jackfruit as sourcing it can be not practical for some. Even though I live near a Trader Joes, it’s never in stock, so in many ways it’s not even practical for me lol. However, I got the craving for a bbq chicken salad, and the rest is history! Growing up bbq was my go to. I had it on anything and everything and I fondly remember the bbq chicken salad from the Cheesecake Factory as I ordered it every time. (true story)
Though that salad was large enough for 2 people (even more true), packed with too many calories and lord knows what was in that dressing, I loved the veggies and the overall flavor and concept. I used that salad as inpso to create this version and believe me when I say..
It’s my new favorite!
What I love about this salad, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, packed with veggies, can easily be made in bulk, fun, modern, non vegan approved, and the dressing is so good!
If you long for the old bbq chicken salad and crave a dressing that can go with just about anything, you’ll love my fresh modern take on this classic salad with my new vegan Bbq Jackfruit Salad with cashew dressing!
What this recipe rocks:
Pack with veggies
The dressing is my new fave!
Perf for any season!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 2 to 4 servings
20 minPrep Time
7 minCook Time
27 minTotal Time
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced radish
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 tbsp green onion, sliced
- 1 can jackfruit
- 2 Tablespoons bbq sauce
- 1 tbsp oil
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
- 1/2 cup almond milk, additional to achieve desired texture
- 1/2 squeeze lime
- 2 Tablespoons vegan BBQ sauce
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire
- Dressing: Soak the cashews for 4 hours in boiling hot water. Throw everything into a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Salad: throw everything in a bowl
- Jackfruit: Place the drained jackfruit in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain the water and throw in a skillet with oil and break up the pieces with a fork. Once shredded add the bbq sauce and cook on med/high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- To serve: Throw everything in a bowl and enjoy!