Vegan Beer Cheese with pretzels
Hello & Happy Friday!!
Believe it or not, I’m the furthest thing from a beer connoisseur, but for some reason, I love beer cheese!!. I was introduced to beer cheese soup back in 2003/2004 and although the thought of the concept sounded off-putting at first, I gave in and tried it and was instantly taken aback by the flavor the beer creates in savory dishes. For those who’ve never tried any beer inspired foods, from a distance, it sounds obscure, but I promise..
It is oh so good!
This recipe came to fruition in 2014, because I honestly was craving it and there wasn’t a single vegan beer cheese recipe I could find!
I had created a beer cheese concept years ago on a whim and it featured vegan cheese products. While I support vegan cheese, I love to create products without them as it can be an obstacle for people to find and it each variety melts different etc. That being said, this beer cheese has been on my bucket list to remake and I’m just so glad I did.
If you’re looking for an appetizer that has both aesthetic appeal and a flavor profile that will leave you longing for another bite…you have to try my recipe for vegan Beer Cheese!!
I love me some vegan beer cheese! https://bit.ly/2JnVrLW Click To Tweet
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining!
Beer cheese is the bomb!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 3 cups
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 cup sliced shiitakes
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1tsp vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp soy
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil (melted)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegan beer
- 1 large tbsp dijon
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Sriracha or hot sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews (longer you soak, smoother the texture)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 large carrot, fork tender
- 1/2 large white potato, fork tender
- Salt/Pepper as desired
- Garnish: peprika and chives
- Shiitake bacon: coat sliced shiitakes in all of the ingredients, let soak for an hour or longer, bake on 250 for 45mins, rotate after 25 minutes to ensure crispy shiitakes!
- Beer Cheese: Combine everything in a blender and puree until smooth. Serve warm with with pretzel bread.
You can use nutritional yeast to amp of the cheesiness or even add more beer if desired. If you need more of any of the spices, simply add more 🙂