Vegan Oven Baked Churros
Hello & Happy Wednedasy!
With Cinco De Mayo around the corner I’m whipping up a slew of quick and easy concepts that will be perfect for your get together! Churros are one of those things, that either you’ve had them or you’ve never heard of them, you like them, or you just don’t get the hype.
Surprisingly, I fell into the category as “I’ve never had one”, until I went to Disney World lol. (embarrassing)
I’m not sure what the explanation is, but I only saw churros on menus at Mexican restaurants and my family typically never ordered desserts and I just never experienced a churro in all its glory. Churros are everything I love all wrapped up into one concept. I love carbs and all things cinnamon and sugar!
Churros are fried like most classic goodies, but you can absolutely bake these and still get a fab result.
What I love about this recipe is that it’s quick, easy, cheap, involves a handful of accessible ingredients, it’s nostalgic for many, baked not fried, can easily be made in bulk, perf for entertaining, and non vegan approved!
If you’re looking for a quick and easy concept that will make you look like an iron chef, you have to try my recipe for vegan Oven Baked Churros!
Love me some vegan Oven Baked Churros! http://www.eatdrinkshrink.com/4th-of-july/vegan-churros Click To Tweet
Why this recipe rocks:
Baked not fried
Fun and festive
Non vegan approved
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 8 large, 12 small
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup Lily's dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a pan add water, coconut oil, sugar and salt. Mix together until coconut oil melts and water boils.
- Turn off heat when water boils and add flour. Mix until you get a dough. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a loaf pan.
- Add the cooled dough to a pastry bag. Create 7inch long churros. Cut the ends off with a knife. Bake for 20-30 minutes turning midway for an even bake. If you find that yours are still soft, continue to bake. If your concerned about burning, simply make a tint with aluminum foil. Once baked allow to cool, brush with melted vegan butter and dip into the pant with the cinnamon and sugar to coat.
- To make the ganache combine the chips and coconut oil and microwave for 1 minute stirring every 15 seconds to prevent the chocolate from burning.