Vegan Heirloom Tomato Tart
Hello & Happy Friday!!
I’ve cut down recipes to 2 a week as I’m pursuing a proejct, but with the holiday weekend upon us I knew I couldn’t pass up sharing a fab summer recipe! One of my favorite things about the summer season is countless fruits and veggies are in season.
Meaning great prices, full flavor, and they pack more nutrients due to the decreased travel time.
One of the best veggies that tastes compelelty different in the summer time, is tomatoes! Ironically, as a child I wasn’t fond of tomatoes. That stems from having countless years of bad tomatoes! As a result it altered my perception of this bueitful veggie for a long time until I was expose to fresh heirlooms!
I love the diversity in the colors and they are typically local and pack more flavor in my opinion. Also, my skin glows with lycopene. So you bet your bum I have tons of canned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, and anything with a red skin!
One of the best effortless concepts is tarts! You can easily pick up frozen pastry dough that is actually considered vegan and top it with whatever you like. You can make sweet or savory creations making the options endless. With the warm weather in full swing, (hello 95 degrees), this vegan heirloom tomato tart came to mind!
What I love about this particular tart, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, has minimal ingredients, nutrient packed, aesthetically pleasing, cheesy, sweet from the balsamic, is perf for summer entertaining, and non vegan approved. (My husband nearly ate the entire dish!)
If you’re searching for an effortless summer concept that’s packed to the max with lycopene, you need my vegan Heirloom Tomato Tart with basil cashew cheese!
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining!
Non vegan approved
Yields 6-8 servings
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 4 heirloom tomatoes
- 1 frozen pastry sheet
- 1/2 cup vegan parm (garnish)
- basil (garnish)
- 2 tbsp balsamic reduction
- 1 bunch basil
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup olive oil (more as needed)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart vegan parm
- salt/pepper as desired
- Basil Cashew Cheese: Throw everything in a food process and blend until smooth
- Tart: Slice tomatoes and place on paper towels. Sprinkle salt on them to remove excess water. Preheat oven to 375. Allow the dough to come to room temp. Roll out to increase the size. Place on a baking sheet. Fold up the edge by pressing inward. Poke holes in the dough everywhere. Bake for 10-15 mins or until golden brown. You can press down the dough with a fork as it bakes if it puff up. Let cool.
- Layer the basil cashew cheese. Top with tomatoes, vegan parm, basil, sea salt, and balsamic drizzle.
If you need to thin the consistency more, add additional olive oil or water 1 tbsp at a time I also topped mine with red pepper flakes! If you need to make a balsamic reduction, simply add 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar to a pan over medium heat, add 1 tbs sugar, continue to stir, will thicken!