Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
With the Fourth of July tomorrow I wanted to whip up some effortless concepts that are just hands down crowd pleasers. When we think of 4th of July eats our minds are filled with hamburgers and hotdogs and all things fried. While I love an excuse to indulge, I’m all about a healthy seamless concept that packs flavor and nutrients.
Prior to coming across this concept in a recent food magazine, I had never heard of Panzanella, but I instantly was intrigued by the name and the recipe components. I wasn’t quite sure if my husband would enjoy it, but ironically he nearly at the entire dish lol.
If you’re not familiar with my homemade tofu feta, I created it nearly 5 years ago and its one of my favorite creations out of hundreds. It’s simply tofu with vinegar and fresh herbs and takes on the acidity of feta cheese. I use it on anything and everything and always have it on hand. You can find the full tutorial for tofu feta here.
What I love about this dish is, everything! It’s a handful of fresh ingredients, thrown in with some grilled bread (love me some carbs), packs protein with the cannellini beans, savory from the garlic, sweet from the vinegar, a tartness from the tofu feta, can pack heat with a lil red pepper flakes, per for any season, great for entertaining, and non vegan approved!
If you’re searching for that dish that captures the essence of summer with fresh herbs and heirloom tomatoes, this is it!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf for entertaining
Non vegan approved
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 5 cups
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 small French bread or boule, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 package mini heirloom tomatoes, sliced, 3 cups c
- 1 seedless cucumber, unpeeled, and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 red onion, cut in 1/2 and thinly sliced
- 20 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsps finely minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 block firm tofu, cubed
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 4 tbsp oregano
- 4 tbsp dill
- basil leaves (optional)
- tarragon (optional)
- salt/pepper as desired
- Tofu feta: throw everythig in a jar, set aside. The longer it marinates the better!
- Panzanella: Grill your sliced tomatoes and bread. Slice bread into cubes. throw into a bowl with the remaining ingredients. Drain marinated tofu, crumble with hands. Toss and coat. Serve, or allow the salad to sit for about half an hour for the flavors to blend.