Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
If there is one summer inspired combo I love, it’s strawberry and rhubarb! Something about rhubarb instantly drew me in. It looks like red celery, is only available in the summer, is perfection when sweetened, and pairs seamlessly with strawberries!
Whatever it may be, I’m just all about it!!
To date I’ve produced countless strawberry rhubarb concepts, but one I had yet explore was an upside down cake. What I love about upside down cakes is you simply throw it together, place the fruit on the bottom and boom, you instantly have a gorgeously decorated cake!
What’s fab about this particular cake, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, buttery soft, less added sugar, packed with fruit, no dairy or eggs, not even vegan eggs, you can use the base for endless vegan vanilla cake options, it’s perf for summer, great for entertaining, has aesthetic appeal and is just such a staple!!
If you love effortless vegan desserts or have an affinity for all things strawberry and rhubarb, you’re going to love this new vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake!!
Why this recipe is great:
No dairy or eggs
No vegan eggs
You can use the base to create endless combinations!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 6-8 slices
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced rhubarb
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C)Sift the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar, baking soda and salt and mix together.
- Add the almond milk, vanilla, oil and vinegar and give it a quick whisk with a hand whisk until just combined.
- Add melted butter and sugar to the bottom of the springform pan. Place strawberries cut side down covering the entire bottom. Make a layer with the chopped rhubarb. Top with the batter spreading evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick is inserted in the center and comes out clean.
- Cover with tinfoil if you feel as though the top is browning too much. Remove from oven and allow to fully cool. Unlatch the springform pan, place cooling wrack on top and flip the cake over.
- Carefully remove the bottom of the pan. Slice and serve with coconut whip!