Vegan Chai Spiced French Toast
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
I was never a huge banana bread person, but I love how they serve as a wonderful vegan binder and create moisture in breads. Let’s also be honest, we always have bananas that are going bad lol.While I’ve created a few banana bread concepts, I want to think outside the box to create a fun flavor provide and also leave the option to make french toast!
and the vegan Chai French Toast Banana Bread was born!
What I love about this concept, is everything! It’s classic banana bread with a modern chai twist! It’s made with whole wheat flower and oats instead of white flour, incorporates maple syrup instead of white sugar, is paired with caramelized bananas, great for entertaining for brunch, and most importantly.. You can make a simple Chai Spiced Banana Bread, or you can take it next level and create a modern Chai Spiced Banana Bread French Toast!
If you have an affinity for all things banana bread or love modern french
toast concepts.. you hav to try my recipe for vegan Chai Spiced Banana Bread French Toast!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf for entertaining
Can be made into bread or french toast! (hello options)
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 8-10 slices
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (add 3/4 if you are not doing the french toast)
- 7 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 tbsp Follow Your Heart vegan egg powder combine with 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 1/3 cups mashed ripe banana (about 2 large)
- 1 cup oats, ground into dust
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cloves
- 2 large bananas sliced
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup almond milk
- 5 tbsp Follow Your Heart vegan egg powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine all of the wet ingredients, beating well untill smooth. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cardamom, ginger, clove, cinnamon; stir with a whisk. Add wet to dry, combine without over mixing.
- Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- French toast batter: combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth. Place a skillet on your stove over medium-low heat, add 1 tbsp of the butter and melt. While butter is melting soak 2 of the banana bread slices in the vegan egg mixture, turn over after 30 seconds and soak on the other side for another 30 seconds.
- Once the butter is melted and skillet is hot, add the french toast to the skillet and cook for about 3 or 4 minutes. After 3 or 4 minutes take a peek and see if the French toast is golden brown, if it has flip each slice carefully and continue cooking until this side is golden brown, another 3 or so minutes, making sure to watch it closely so it doesn't burn. Remove from skillet. Soak the remaining 2 slices of bread and repeat the process.
- In the same skillet, prepare the caramelized bananas. Add the 2 tbsp of butter and wait until it melts then sprinkle the tbsp of brown sugar over the surface of the skillet. Add the banana slices over the brown sugar, and cook for a couple minutes until the bottom of the banana get golden brown. Flip each slice over and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from heat. (If you throw it all in a pan in no order it still works!)
- To plate, top the french toast with additional slivered almonds, caramelized bananas, and syrup!
The you soak the bread the better it will taste! I also recommend cutting the slices on the thin side to ensure the batter gets all the way thru!