10 Minute Vegan Puff Pastry Cinnamon Roll with Cream Cheese Icing
Hello & Happy Saturday!!
Well we finally got Eat Drink Shrink back up and running last night!! While this was of course an unfortunate and stressful event, especially while pregnant, I always find the silver linings and there were.. plenty!!
My website is now run like a well oiled machine, out with the old, in the with new. (finally kinks worked out by Monday) Security was taken “next level” and I started to roll out the EDS Newsletter again, which I’m excited about! While I hate the idea of more email just like the next person, if you can provide exclusive recipes, discount codes and things I may have missed on a site, I’m all about it!
Want to sign up for the EDS Newsletter?! Click here.
I also took into account FB recently and have made it more of a priority. We all know that Instagram reigns supreme today, but as much as I love it for exploring new brands, products, and users, I love the ability to browse food related news more seamlessly. If you’re searching for all things food whether it be recipes or food related news about product releases and recalls, be sure to check out EDS Facebook!!
Now let’s talk about these rolls!!
This concept has been on my bucket list for quite some time. As an avid lover of the staple cinnamon roll, I was worried whether these would hold up. While cinnamon rolls can be a messy pain to throw together (truth), the rewards are great. Could a 10 minute cinnamon roll really match the quality behind a typical 1hr roll?!
..the answer is, yes!!
Now I’m not one to be crazy about any food product vegan or not, but pastry dough really makes things more seamless. You can buy it frozen, thaw it out, and whip up countless recipes that make you look like a certified pastry chef. So if you’re in a bind for time, don’t have the energy for the traditional cinnamon rolls, these are just as good, if not.. better. (bold statement)
I love this variation for a myriad of reasons! It’s quick, easy, involve minimal time and ingredients, it’s crispy on the outside and slightly soft on the inside, I actually love the use of coconut sugar here versus traditional brown sugar, they have aesthetic appeal, can easily be made in bulk, perf for any season, great for entertaining, hold up for days unlike the traditional which dry out, and again.. NO PREPPING NO FUSS AND FULL PROOF!!
If you’re all about the cinnamon rolls and not about the time and energy it takes to make them, you’re going to be head over heels for these quick and easy 10 Minute Vegan Cinnamon Rolls with cream cheese icing!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Will outlive any traditional cinnamon roll
ONLY 6 INGREDIENTS
Perf for entertaining
Can easily be made in bulk
Eat Drink Shrink
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2 sheets puff pastry (I used Pepperidge Farm)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups organic icing
- 1 tsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and grease a baking dish with vegan butter or line a pan with parchment paper. Unfold 1 sheet of defrosted frozen puff pastry dough. With a rolling pin spread out the dough a little while on a floured work surface.Brush the pastry with melted vegan butter, leaving a 1-inch perimeter.
- Mix together the ¾ cup brown sugar with 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon.Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the melted butter, then tightly roll the puff pastry into a log. Set aside.With the second piece follow the same procedure with spreading it out, coating with vegan butter, then the sugar mixture.
- Before rolling it up place the first rolled up pastry dough at the end and being to roll it up inside the other sealing it at the ends. This enables you to make a larger roll. However, you can skip this approach and just roll up each sheet separately creating more if desired.
- Slice the log with a sharp knife or piece of string into 6 cinnamon rolls and spread out on a prepared baking dish. Brush with butter and bake the cinnamon rolls for 10 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Allow to cool. Combine the icing ingredients. Add more almond milk to thin the consistency and more powdered sugar to thicken. Drizzle over cooled cinnamon rolls.