Vegan Lemon Basil Sugar Cookies
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
If you know me, you know I’m enamored with the concept of combining fruit and herbs with desserts. I gravitate more towards fruit forward options and the addition of herbs create another dimension of flavor that is just too good!
If you love working with fresh herbs, the silver lining is that you’ll always have some on hand that is on the verge of going bad. Throwing them in dessert quick dessert concepts is the perfect way to mitigate waste and give your dishes a flavor boost!
Lately I’ve been going thru EDS recipes to ensure that I have all the staples. While I love the typical go to’s as you have to have those, I also LOVE to mix it up. Thus these vegan Lemon Basil Sugar Cookies were just a no brainer!!
What’s fab about these cookies, is everything! It’s your staple vegan lemon sugar cookie recipe, slightly soft and chewy texture, packed with lemon flavor, has notes of basil that keep you on your toes, aesthetic appeal, perf for spring, perf for entertaining, and is just such a fun concept!!
If you love fresh modern vegan desserts, you have to try this recipe for vegan Lemon Basil Sugar Cookies!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Rich lemon flavor
No dairy or eggs
Notes of basil
Perf for spring
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 8-10 depending on size
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4-6 basil leaves (about 2 tbs when finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup cane sugar, additional for rolling
- 2 1/2 tbsps Follow Your Heart vegan egg powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk, room temp
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpats. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the chopped basil.
- Combine vegan egg with almond milk. Whisk to remove any clumps.
- Add the vegan egg, lemon and vanilla extract. Combine.
- Now add flour mixture in 2 increments, combining between each.
- Roll two heaping tablespoons of dough into a ball. Roll in sugar, optional.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 10 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.