Asparagus & Mushroom Crepes
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
Believe it or not, I’ve never been into crepes. While New York City is filled with crepe concepts, they are never vegan and typically focus on the overly sweet kind. Needless to say, the idea of a savory crepe seemed far from desirable to me.
Until ..I finally gave it a go!
On top of crepes not appealing to me, the idea of making one seemed involved and I assumed I had to own a crepe maker etc. However, that’s completely false! You can effortlessly make crepes by using a traditional pan and simply having a quick hand.
Since I’ve explored multiple varieties of vegan sweet breakfast crepes, I thought it would be wonderful to try a savory crepe concept. Typical varieties are packed with heavy cheese and calories, but the idea of a lighter crepe seemed like perfection. I also loved the idea of a vegan hollandaise as I vaguely remember this sauce and is comprised of lemon, butter and eggs if I’m not mistaken, but I have a fondness for all things lemon!
And the vegan Mushroom & Asparagus Crepes with Hollandaise Sauce was born!
What I love about this dish is, everything. It’s easy, affordable, packed to the max with veggies, has carbs (a must), great presentation, a cheesy lemon vegan hollandaise, and doesn’t disappoint!
If you’re looking to relive your savory crepe days sans meat or dairy without sacrificing flavor…
You have to try my recipe for vegan Mushroom & Asparagus Crepes with Hollandaise Sauce!
Why this recipe rocks:
Non vegan aPproved
Serves 1 crepe
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup Follow Your Heart vegan parmesan
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup Follow Your Heart vegan egg
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 12 to 16 asparagus spears
- 2 cups mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- Olive oil as needed to cook the vegetables
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Follow Your Heart vegan parmesan & smoked paprika for garnish
- Crepes: To make the crepes, combine all ingredients and set aside in the fridge for about 20 minutes. While the batter is resting, combine all the filling ingredients and whisk until smooth. Heat a crepe pan or medium size nonstick skillet to medium heat. Right before you are going to add batter, put a small dap of butter in the pan and swirl to coat. Then, using a ¼ cup scoop, scoop batter into the pan, swirling the pan as you pour to evenly coat the pan with the batter.
- Once the batter is even, set the pan down and allow the crepe to brown just slightly. Then carefully lift up the edges with a spatula and flip over, if you are a beginning crepe maker, you can skip the flipping part if you can't get right, just allow the batter to set on the top. Once the crepe is browned on both sides, turn it out onto a paper towel or a plate. Repeat with remaining batter until all of it has been used.
- Veggies: Add shallots to the pan with a little oil, cook until transluscent. Add the mushrooms, shallots, and balsamic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook until the right texture is achieved. You may also roast the asparagus in the oven.
- Hollandaise: combine all of the ingredients until all clumps are removed.
- To serve, place 2 or 3 spears of asparagus in the center of a crepe with the rest of the veggie mix. Fold the sides up and top with Hollandaise Sauce and garnish with smoked paprika, vegan parm, and thyme.