Avocado Pesto with Shiitake Bacon
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
Whether I like to admit it, I’m not a huge pasta person as it seems as though its just empty calories and leaves me feeling bloated lol.
However, I love homemade pasta, fun healthy sauces and toppings!
Cue my classic Avocado Pesto!! What’s great about pesto is that you can throw tons of veggies in and double the nutritional value without sacrificing flavor.
This base is perf with some pasta, on toast, or even tossed in some zucchini noodles. The flavor and color are so on point the options are endless.
Another wonderful addition to this classic dish is the homemade Shiitake bacon. I’m going through a phase where I’m just completely enamored with them. I was never a “bacon” person, but I love the texture, spice, and smokiness they add to dishes.
If you’re looking for an effortless dish that looks like a million dollar plate, you need to try my recipe for Avocado Pesto Pasta with Shiitake Bacon.
Why this recipe rocks:
Savory, slightly sweet!
Great for vegan and non vegans
Can be made in bulk
- 1 package of fehttuchini pasta
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup minced kale
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 cup nuts (optional, any kind)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 5-6 basil leaves
- 1/2 squeeze of lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 Package of shiitakes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp maple syrup, optional
- cracked black pepper and sea salt as desired
- Garnish: basil and Follow Your Heart Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Make the shiitakes in advance. Soak them in all of the ingredients for a few hours or overnight for the best flavor. Once ready, bake in the oven on 200 degrees for 30 minutes, rotation shiitakes mid way. Should be soft, slightly crispy, not too crunchy. Remove from heat set aside.
- Boil the pasta. Now make the sauce. Throw everything in a food processor. The garlic, basil, spinach and kale, nuts (optional), spices, olive oil, lemon juice, then add the avocado. Pulse until smooth and add additional lemon juice or olive oil to achieve the desired consistency.
- Let the pasta cool a little bit, then toss in the Avo pesto and top with the shiitake bacon.
- Top with additional fresh basil and vegan parmesan cheese