Beer Battered Fish Sandwich
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
If there is a second food concept besides fish tacos that I was completely enamored with prior to focusing on plant based foods..
It was fish and chips!
However, even though the landscape for vegan food products has evolved, the faux fish department remains to be lacking and that goes even for vegan food establishments. The only vegan fish sandwich I’ve seen at a grab and go spot in the NYC wasn’t even made in house, but was simply a frozen fish patty made from a large company that contains all sorts of fillers and caramel color etc.. I feel as though if you’re going to offer a vegan concept, everything should be made in house. If I wanted to buy a veggie burger patty, I can just go to the market. TRUTH.
So as a whole I’ve wanting to develop more faux fish concepts and this vegan Beer Battered Tofu Sammie fits the bill!
What I love about this dish is, everything. Its made from tofu, making it accessible, affordable, has multiple textures (crispy from the tofu, crunchy from the cabbage), tart from the malt vinegar and tartar sauce, has a slight hint of beer and simply packs tons of flavor!
This sandwich needs no pitch, because its everything you dreamed of and more in a vegan fish and chips concept. If you long for that faux fish sammie or simply have tastebuds..
You have to try my recipe for vegan Beer Battered Tofu Fish Sammie!
Why this recipe rocks:
Tartar sauce is insanely good!
Non vegan approved
Great aesthetic appeal
Perf for anytime of the year!
30 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 2 cup flour (plus additional for frying)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup beer
- 3 tbs Follow Your Heart vegan egg
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 4 buns
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 1 cup red cabbage
- 1 cup white cabbage
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 3 tbs malt vinegar
- 2 tbsp relish
- 1 tablespoon capers (chopped)
- 3/4 cup vegan Follow Your Heart Mayo
- 1 Bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 bunch dill
- 1 lemon
- 3tbsp dijon mustard
- salt & pepper
- In a large pot fill with oil over medium/high heat. Squeeze the water out of the tofu with paper towels. Slice into books and set aside. Prepare three bowls. combine the dry ingredients in one bowl (salt, baking powder and flour). In another bowl combine the vegan egg with almond milk, then add to a bowl with beer. Whisk smooth. Continue to stir to remove all the clumps. Now add the beer to the flour mixture gradually. (leave the third bowl with just flour)
- Test the oil to ensure its hot enough. Throw in a small piece, it should sizzle. Once ready, dip the tofu strips in additional flour from the third bowl, and then the vegan egg/beer mixture, and fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Finish until all pieces are fried.
- Chop everything fine then add juice of the lemon, mayo, and mustard. Combine and season to your taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve. This will keep in an airtight container for a few days, just give it a stir when you are ready to use it. Chop the cabbage and radish and toss in malt vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Set aside
- To assemble, top the bottom bun with the tarter sauce, then layer the tofu, then the cabbage and radish mixture and enjoy!