Beer Battered Tofu Tacos
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
One of my all time fave dishes was fish tacos! While there are a handful of faux fish sandwiches, none compare to the actual dish and the crispness that you achieve.
So I was on a foodie mission to find something that mirrored that of the traditional fried fish tacos and boom.. the vegan Beer Battered Fish Tacos made from tofu were born!
While I don’t advocate for frying things on the regular, I love to convey the message that you can literally veganize just about anything and ultimately produce a more nutrient dense concept that packs more flavor!
What I love about this dish is, everything. It packs color (should have used avocado for more color! lol), a hint of beer, multiple textures with the crispy tofu and cabbage, spice with the mayo, and a tang with the pickled red onion and lime. And like the majority of all my recipes, the ingredients are all accessible and affordable.
If you’re looking for that perf modern vegan dish that’s non vegan approved.. You have to try my recipe for vegan Beer Battered Fish Tacos!
Why this recipe rocks:
Tons of veggies
Non vegan approved
Yields 6 tacos
25 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 block tofu (firm)
- 4 sprigs cilantro
- 1/2 cup radishes (sliced)
- 6 tortilla
- 1/2 cup picked red onion (optional)
- 1 cup purple cabbage
- 1 cup white cabbage
- 2 cup flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup beer
- 3 tbs Follow Your Heart vegan egg
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- limes (optional)
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 adobo pepper (chopped)
- To make pickled red onion, simply throw sliced onions in a jar of vinegar and let sit for a few hours!
- In a large pot fill with oil in over medium/high heat. Squeeze the water out of the tofu with paper towels. Slice into strips and set aside. Prepare three bowls. combine the dry ingredients in one bowl (salt, baking powder and flour). In another bowl combine the vegan egg with almond milk, then add to a bowl with beer. Whisk smooth. Continue to stir to remove all the clumps. Now add the beer to the flour mixture gradually.
- Test the oil to ensure its hot enough. Throw in a small piece, it should sizzle. Once ready, dip the tofu strips in additional flour, and then the vegan egg/beer mixture, and fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Finish until all pieces are fried.
- For the spicy mayo, combine all the ingredients until smooth. To assemble, add the fried tofu, shredded cabbage, pickled red onion, spicy mayo and cilantro and top with a squeeze of lime, serve hot!