Vegan Beer Cheese Black Bean Burger
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
I know what you’re thinking, beer cheese? Thats a long ingredients list?
Pump the breaks
All of these recipes are vegan perfection to explore and can be used for a variety of recipes. Enjoy the onion rings by themselves and some fancy sauce, or enjoy the beer cheese with some shiitake bacon garlic knots, or if you really want to explode your tastebuds, throw them both on top of a vegan Black Bean Burger!
While the ingredients may be long and varied, you can modify the ingredients to your liking and the steps are easy peasy!
What I love about this recipe is that it combines a variety of flavors, textures, has great presentation, can even be made into minis to enjoy as a quick bite while entertaining, and lastly.. nothing like it exists!
If you love innovative and cutting edge vegan eats that don’t disappoint, ..you have to try my Beer Cheese Burger recipe!
What I love about this recipe:
Can be made in bulk
All recipes can be enjoyed together or separately
Can be made into sliders
Yields 4 burgers
1 hrPrep Time
20 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 2 cans (14.5 Each) Seasoned Black Beans
- 1 cup Panko
- 1/2 cup Grated White Onion
- 3 tbsp Follow You Heart vegan egg powder mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp vegan worcestershire
- Salt And Pepper
- 1 1/2 jalapeños (sliced)
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp Hot Sauce (I Used Choloula)
- 1 package sliced bella mushrooms
- 1 cup beer cheese
- 1 cup baked onion rings
- Olive Oil, For Frying
- 4 whole Hamburger Buns
- Lettuce Or Other Greens
- 2 avocados
- 2 TBS Earth Balance vegan butter
- 2 TBS All Purpose Flour
- 1 (12 ounce) Bottle of vegan beer
- 1 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ tsp Sriracha or hot sauce
- 1 large clove of Garlic – minced
- ½ Cup (4 oz.) vegan Follow Your Heart Cream Cheese – softened and diced
- 1 block vegan Follow Your Heart Cheddar cheese - grated
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt, plus more to taste
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 vidalia onions (about a pound), or other sweet onion
- 1 1/2 cups almod milk
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons non-GMO cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 5 tbsp Follow Your Heart vegan egg mixed with 1 cup water
- 1 tsp season salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Burgers: Drain, but do not rinse, the black beans. Place in a pan with the minced onion, hot sauce, cumin, worcestershire, liquid smoke, chili powder , salt/pepper, and cook over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook for a few minutes or until onions are translucent. Add the sliced jalapeños, mushrooms, cook for an additional 3-5 minute until slightly reduced in size. Remove from heat, set aside to cool.
- Make the onion rings: Slice onions into ¾ inch thick rings. Separate the rings and place in a large bowl with almond milk and apple cider vinegar for an hour or overnight (optional). This will help the batter better adhere to the onions.Preheat oven to 450ºF. Line a rimmed 12×18 lightly greased baking sheet topped with aluminum foil. Arrange the bowls for coating. In one bowl, dump in the flour and cornstarch. In another have the vegan egg combined with water (should have thick consistency. Then in the last bowl have the Panko, onion powder, garlic powder and seasoned salt. Stir and combine.
- Dip the pre soaked onion rings in flour, then in the vegan egg, then in the Panko, then place on the baking sheet. Be sure to shake after each dip, especially post vegan egg as it will clump the Panko bowl. You're better of sprinkling panic on versus dipping. Try an use separate hands so you have at least one clean hand or use utensils to dip. Spray with a olive oil cooking spray and bake for 7-8 minutes Flip, and bake another 6 minutes. Rings should be varying shades of brown and crisp. Taste one to check for doneness. Serve as soon as possible.
- Make the beer cheese: Prepare the Beer-Cheese Dip: In a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat, melt the vegan butter until slightly foaming. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring continuously, for 1 ½ - 2 minutes, until pale in color. Slowly whisk in the beer. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to medium. Stir in the mustard, Worcestershire, Sriracha and garlic. Cook, whisking occasionally, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Add in the salt and cream cheese. Stir to thoroughly incorporate. Reduce heat to medium low. One handful at a time, add the vegan cheddar cheese, stirring in between each addition. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and keep warm, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
- Once cooled, chop with a knife to break up the mushroom pieces then place in a bowl and use a fork to mash them. Continue mashing until beans are mostly broken up, with a handful of whole beans remaining. Add the Panko, mixed vegan egg. Stir until everything is well combined. Form into patties and wrap in surround wrap. Let the burgers set in a fridge for 20 minutes or longer. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Place the patties in the skillet and cook them about 5 minutes on each side or until heated all the way through. Assembly: throw the burger patties on toasted buns and top with warm melted beer cheese, onion rings, lettuce and avocado!
As an alternative to the vegan egg, make a flax egg!