Vegan Broccoli Beer Cheese Soup
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
While I don’t drink beer, I have an affinity for all dishes with a hint of beer. For some random reason, beer creates a flavor profile that just leaves me longing for more. The first beer recipe I ever tried I think I was about 17 and it was beer cheese soup. At that time the thought sounded off-putting, I was even going vegan then, but I tried and instantly fell in love with the flavor.
If you’re not a fan of beer this recipe STILL rocks as you can remove the beer for a classic broccoli cheese soup! Don’t want broccoli cheese soup?! You can just eat the cheese dip and skip the soup!
The original recipe was created a few years ago, but I did some tweaking to up the nutritional value and flavor and made it more effortless!
What’s fab about this recipe, is everything! It’s easy, contains affordable ingredients, nutrient dense, packs tons of flavor, can easily be made into a traditional broccoli soup, or cheese dip, non vegan approved, is a beer lovers dream!
If you’re craving a vegan soup staple that can be made into two other recipes, you have to try my vegan Broccoli Beer Cheese Soup!
Love me some Broccoli Beer Cheese Soup! http://www.eatdrinkshrink.com/cooking/beer-cheese-soup Click To Tweet
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made into other recipes
Non vegan approved
Yields 4 bowls soups
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup vegan beer (wouldn't do a light beer)
- 1 large tbsp dijon
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Sriracha or hot sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews (longer you soak, smoother the texture)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 large carrot, fork tender
- 1/2 large white potato, fork tender
- Salt/Pepper as desired
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups broccoli
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup light beer
- 1 cup sliced shiitakes
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1tsp vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp soy
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil (melted)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Beer Cheese: Combine everything in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Add butter and oil to a large pot. Add onion and carrots and salt to the pot, cook for 5-7 minutes until softened. Add the broccoli, garlic and broth. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes until softened. I like to cook and still keep the broccoli a little light green as it will continue to cook.
- Blend 1/2 of the soup with the vegan cheese. Add back into the pot and turn on low until ready to serve. If you want to create more of a thicker consistency, cook and reduce.
- Shiitake bacon: Shiitake bacon: coat sliced shiitakes in all of the ingredients, let soak for an hour or longer, bake on 250 for 45mins, rotate after 25 minutes to ensure crispy shiitakes!
If you want to opt for a simple broccoli cheddar soup, remove the beer!