Vegan Beer Cheese Soup
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
I truly believe the weather dictates what we crave. Ironically, we organically crave foods that are more filling and higher in calories. This parallels with the theory, which stems from the hunter and gatherer period where during the cold winter months we consumed fattier foods to better allow us to combat the colder temperatures.
Needless to say, the only time I crave soup is during colder temperatures, but I can’t just have any everyday soup. I’m only enamored with the really fun soups! The ones that pack tons of flavor, character, multiple textures and have great aesthetic appeal. (high soup expectations)
For this reason, and perhaps the fact that the majority of soups wether purchase at the market or sandwich are rarely vegan, I don’t eat a lot of soup.
Beer cheese soup!
While I already know what you’re thinking, beer? in food? that’s vegan? I’m telling you, although this combination may appear obscure, its nearly commonplace in the Southern Food Culture.
What’s perfection about this recipe is that whether you’re a beer person (I’m not) or a cheese person or perhaps neither, this recipe will catch you completely off guard with the flavors blending seamlessly together, leaving you longing for more beer concepts!
What I love about this recipe is, everything! Its easy, cheesy, affordable, ingredients are accessible, its great for entertaining, pairs perfectly with a bread bowl and smokey shiitake bacon, can easily be made in bulk or just be a dip to pair with your favorite vegan snacks!
If you love fun modern vegan eats that don’t disappoint and will even please your non vegan friends..
You need to try my recipe for vegan Beer Cheese Soup!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perfect for game day (or any day)
Non vegan approved
A true winner even if you don’t like beer
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 16 ounces beer
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 cup finely diced white onion
- 2 tsp worcestrshire
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 8 ounces Follow Your Heart vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
- black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 2 loaves sour dough bread
- 1 packages of shiitakes (sliced)
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tbs liquid smoke
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Shiitake Bacon: Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and bake in the oven on 250 for 30 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms in midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard. (coat in ingredients for however long you can)
- Melt the vegan butter in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the celery, onion, carrot, and minced garlic. Stir while sautéing for about 5 minutes until the veggies are tender and the onion is translucent. Increase heat to med/high and add the flour and stir until the vegetables are coated in the flour cook for 3 minutes until nutty and golden. Add the beer, worcestershire, vegetable stock and almond milk combine with apple cider vinegar and stir constantly until fully combined. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to medium. Continue to cook for another 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and gradually stir in the vegan shredded cheddar cheese. Add salt and pepper as needed. Stir while the cheese melts. Serve soup warm garnished with chives, more shredded sharp cheddar cheese and shiitake bacon on the top.
- [Because any cheese soup can get "gloppy" after it sits, I suggest making this as close to serving time if possible. If the mixture gets too thick, add a bit more liquid (beer, milk, broth) and stir over low heat. That is also how I recommend re-heating the soup as well.]