Vegan Beet Burger Recipe
Hello & Happy Friday!!
I literally made this recipe years ago, but it remains to be one of my most coveted recipes on Eat Drink Shrinks, and actually one of my personal favorites, the Beet Burger! Years ago the veggie burger patty was typically frozen, not homemade, and lacked flavor and character. Today you can truly make a veggie burger packed with whatever you like and take it any direction you desire.
While I love this recipe, once upon a time I actually wasn’t crazy about beets! (gasps)
My original version that was even featured in Thrive Magazine!
As we age our become less of “super tasters” and our preferences evolve. I could literally lists countless foods that I loathed growing up and now am quite fond of today. That being said, beets are one of my personal favorites today, so this concept was a no brainer years ago. This was one of those recipes that came to me on a whim while in undergrad and made me think, I could just cook all day.
All I’m going to say is, serendipitous!
What I love about this recipe, is everything! It’s packed to the max with veggies, flavor, texture, is hardy, filling, affordable, effortless, you can modify the veggies, make in bulk to freeze later, has a hint of heat and a hint of sweet, non vegan approved, and just all around the best dang vegan Beet Burger I’ve ever had lol.
If you’re looking to explore the world of beet burgers, this recipe has your name writing all over it! As one of the top viewed recipes on EDS, you can’t lose.
Why this recipe rocks:
Packed to the max with veggies
Great for entertaining
Perf for any season
Non vegan approved
Yields 2-4 burgers
25 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbps vinegar (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt as desired
- 1 small package mushrooms (sliced) (white or portobello)
- 1 can black beans- rinsed
- 3 beets (peeled, steamed, sliced)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 4 dates (chopped ideally)
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- top with red onion, leaf lettuce,avocado, chipotle mayo
- 1 cup Vegan Follow Your Heart Mayo
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 adobo pepper, minced
- In a pan over medium heat cook minced garlic with oil for a few minutes until fragrant, add diced onion, cook til clear, add chopped mushrooms, seasonings and add a few drops of vinegar. Cook for an additional 5-7minutes. Place black beans in a strainer, rinse then place in bowl with cooked quinoa, add the mushroom/onion mix.
- Put oats into the food processor and pulse until it forms a flour, Once the beets are soft, remove from oven, let cool, then place in a food processor. Pulse a few times with the oats, don't over process, texture is good. Add 4 soft dates (chopped) to the food processor with the beets to give the burgers a hint of sweetness. Once processed add to the bowl with everything else and and mix together with hands. Add additional oat flour if they appear too wet. Place in the fridge to set for 20 minutes.
- In a skillet over medium heat cook each patty for 5/7 minutes on each side. The thicker the patty the longer it will take to cook. You can also opt to bake. Set on a baking sheet and cook for 15-20 mins on 350
- Mayo: Throw everything together and combine
- The thicker the beet burger the longer you need to cook. If you would like to make more of a binder you can incorporate nuts or a flax egg. - If you don't want to use quinoa you can use brown rice - You can wrap in plastic and freeze