Vegan Beet Penne Pasta
Hello & Happy Valentine’s Day!
If there is one vegetable I’ve evolved to love over time, it’s beets!
Beets are an interesting vegetable that pack a high natural sugar content, a vibrant color, and can be used in the obvious savory dishes and actually pairs seamlessly with sweet dishes as well.
While developing a plethora of Valentine’s Day concepts that were of course all desserts, I wanted to create the perfect savory V-Day dish. One that packs flavor, nutrients, and of course.. color!
Before I knew it, the vegan Beet Penne Pasta was born!!
What I love about this dish is that it involves minimal steps, minimal ingredients, offers a gorgeous hue, nutrients, and is the perf dish for Valentine’s Day!
If you love working with beets or simply festive dishes, you have to try my recipe for vegan Beet Penne Pasta!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf for Valentine’s Day
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 2-4 cups
25 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 3 medium-sized beets, cleaned and cut into a small dice
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart vegan parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 pound penne pasta
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 packages of shiitakes (sliced)
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tbs liquid smoke
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Shiitake Bacon: Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and bake in the oven on 250 for 30 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms in midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard. (coat in ingredients for however long you can)
- Preheat oven to 400.On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the rinsed and peeled beets in 1 Tbs. oil, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil. Peel the garlic, toss in the same ingredients, wrap in aluminum foil. Roast for 40 minutes. Check for doneness at the 30-minute mark.
- Transfer beets to a food processor. Soak cashews in hot water for a few minutes. Add the roasted garlic, cashews, nutritional yeast, half of the vegan parmesan cheese and the 2 remaining Tbs. oil. Pulse until smooth.
- Transfer beet mixture to a small saucepan. Add the stock and cream and bring to a light simmer. Add remaining cheese and another pinch of salt. Simmer on low for about 2 minutes.
- Cook the penne until al dente. Drain and return to skillet. Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss to combine. Top with additional cheese and shiitake bacon.