Vegan Black Bean Soup
Hello & Happy Friday!!
For some, black bean soup seems so mundane, but for some reason..
I always loved Black Bean soup!
Anything that could be topped with sour cream and avocado is a winner in my book lol
So this recipe is comprised of the “Classic” Black Bean Soup ingredients, but has a little more of a spanish twist with a hint of fire!
What’s wonderful about any soup, is that typically they are easy, affordable, ingredients are accessible, can be made in bulk, and you can acheive an array of consistancies, which completely change the experience of all soups!
If love Black Bean Soup and things with a hint of spice, then you have to give this recipe a go!
So easy, so fab, you can’t mess it up!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made in large batches
High in protein
Can add more veggies such as bell peppers and carrots for a bigger nutrient boost!
Yields 4 bowls of soup
25 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 25 Total Time
- 1 med size yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp chili in adobo sauce, (just the sauce, but for more fire, add a pepper, chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Vegan Magic "bacon" oil or olive oil
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained (2 cans if you want it thick, I used 2)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- optional toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, crumbled corn tortilla chips, jalapeño, diced avocados, Follow Your Heart sour cream and/or shredded cheese
- In a large pot on medium heat, add the olive oil/vegan magic, cook til translucent. Then add the onions and top with spices, jalapeño, adobo sauce, and cook til translucent. Then lastly add the the beans, bay leaf, and broth. Let everything marinate on low/med for 1hr or more so the flavors can combine. (the longer the better)
- When ready remove the bay leaf and decide your soup consistency!
- Serve the soup as-is (more broth like)
- Use a blender to puree soup (Thick and smooth) My choice!
- Use a blender to puree half (more diverse consistency)
- Serve warm and top with your desired faves!
If too thick, add more vegetable broth, if too watery add arrowroot or flour