Vegan Waffle Breakfast Tacos
Hello & Happy Monday!!
I typically wait a few weeks to feature new recipes, but this one was..
How do you say..
Just too good!!
I’m not a huge “bacon” person, but I do love smokey flavors and it can be a fun addition to recipes. What I don’t really like about faux bacon is that they typically have not the cleanest ingredients so I’ve come up with the best option..
Sounds complex, but it packs more flavor, character, and imitates bacon more than the premade options by far. Plus, shitake mushrooms are also a source of selenium, which protects your skin from sun damage.
If you love creative brunch dishes that will blow your mind vegan or not..
You need to try this recipe..
Total. Game. Changer.
Why this recipe rocks:
quick (faster than you think)
Tastes like pure heaven
Sweet & savory
25 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 2 medium sized potatoes (washed, sliced into small pieces)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 Tablespoons baking powder
- ? teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoons Better Body Foods coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons Better Body Foods coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup almond milk
- (Taco rack helps to set the waffles in the right position)
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart Egg
- 3 cups cold almond milk (consistency should be thick)
- 2 slices vegan Follow Your Heart Gouda Cheese (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced shitakes(more the merrier)
- 2 TBSP Vegan Magic (bacon flavored coconut oil) or just coconut oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 2 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire
- Potatoes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash, slice, and coat potatoes with oil and seasoned salt, roast for 30 minutes. Rotate them halfway thru to get a an even crisp on the potatoes.
- Waffle: Preheat your waffle iron. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add the coconut oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Let the batter sit for a couple of minutes while it rises. Spoon batter into your waffle iron and cook according to your waffle iron's instructions. One cooked place on a taco rack to mold correctly or prop them up. (if not, when they cool they will break once shaped like a taco)
- Vegan Eggs: Combine powder with almond milk. Whisk away all clumps and let its stand for a few minutes. Consistency should be thick. In a medium size pan add the mixture, sea salt & pepper as desired, and cook on medium/high heat for 10 minutes. Add the gouda cheese in pieces. If eggs are still slightly soft its ok, they should become more firm once removed from heat.
- Shitake bacon: Wash and slice the shiitakes thinly. 1/8th inch or less to achieve ultimate crispness.
- To prepare the marinade, stir together all ingredients, and drizzle over the sliced shiitakes. Toss the mushrooms in the marinade until well coated and let them soak for about 20-60mins. ( I did overnight)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F) and spread the mushrooms out onto a baking sheet or a pan with aluminum foil. Bake 20 minutes, stirring or turning halfway through. Once crisp, move the mushrooms onto a cooling rack to set. It should be browned, but not burned.
- Assemble the tacos by placing the eggs in first, then the potatoes, then the bacon! Top with a drizzle of maple syrup!