Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
Since the beginning of 2017 I made an objective to explore recipes outside the realm of my normal routine. Soups in particular, have never really called to me. They are best when its freezing, when paired with carbs, lack endless amounts of sodium and are packed with nutrients. However simple it sounds, a lot of vegan soup varieties I’ve come across at establishments are simply complete duds. As a result I’ve just never been a “soup person” lol.
However, if done right, you can make an amazing soup that packs nutrients without sacrificing flavor and even aesthetic appeal.
While brainstorming for my next soup venture I decided to try one of the most famous combinations, Broccoli Cheddar! At first glance I thought, well, vegan cheese is a toss up in recipes, will it be good? will it melt? will it mirror that classic soup that we all know and love..
And the answer is, Yes.
What I love about this soup is everything. It’s effortless to make, affordable, involves a handful of ingredients, is a crowd pleaser, cheesy with a hint of spice, can be made in bulk, and is perfect for entertaining!
If you long for the days of broccoli cheddar soup, well wait no longer! You have to try my recipe for vegan Broccoli Cheddar soup!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made in bulk
Packs lots of flavor
Non vegan approved
Can be served in a bread bowl, um yum!
Yields 4-6 bowls
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1/2 chopped Onion
- 1 tsp red pepper
- 1 large garlic clove
- 4 tbsp melted Butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 cup almond milk w/1tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 large bunches Broccoli
- 2 Carrots - sliced with a peeler
- 8 oz Follow My Heart shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut carrots into small strips using a peeler and break apart broccoli florets into small pieces.
- Sauce Onion and minced garlic in 1 tbsp of melted butter until transparent. Make a roux using remainder of melted butter and flour. Cook about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add in almond milk with apple cider vinegar, stirring constantly. Add in vegetable stock and thyme, simmer for 20 minutes. Add the shredded cheese, red pepper, nutritional yeast, 1/2 the vegetables and cook for 10 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat, puree, add back to the pot and add the remaining vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 25mins. Serve warm in a bread bowl or regular bowl.
If soup become more solid post refrigeration, simply add more stock and simmer!