Vegan Shaved Brussels Salad in a champgane vinaigrette
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
I’ll be honest, I love to eat healthy, but I’m not crazy about plain jane salads. So I totally understand when I hear people say, “salads are boring”. However, salads don’t have to be a big disappointment, you just have to get creative, have fun, and have lots of flavor!
I actually made this salad a few years ago and it was one of my first salad concepts. Kale makes the best salads (highly recommend the dinosaur variety, much better texture), but everything gets old after a while. I found that I could take my love for brussels next level by shaving them and making salads!
Since I’m featuring all of my kitchen staples, I knew I had to reshoot this one and provide a tutorial video to showcase just how effortless and amazing it is!
What I love about this recipe, is everything from A to Z. It’s easy, involves a handful of ingredients, is nutrient dense, can easily be made in bulk, has tons of texture, flavor, aesthetic appeal, non vegan approved, a dressing that goes well with anything and is perf for any season!
If you’re looking for that perf staple salad or that amazing salad to add to your menu for the holidays, you have to try my vegan Shaved Brussles Salad with shiitake bacon in a champagne vinaigrette!
Why this recipe rocks:
Lots of fiber
Perf for summer, fall, winter, or spring
Eat Drink Shrink
25 minPrep Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2/3 cup minced shallots
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons agave or stevia
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
- 4 cups finely shredded kale (massage)
- 4 cups finely shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
- 2/3 cup dried cherries
- 1 package of shiitakes (sliced)
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbs coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Shiitake Bacon: Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and bake in the oven on 250 for 30 to 40 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard. (coat in ingredients for however long you can).
- Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients, until combined.
- Nuts: Preheat oven to 350, toast nuts for 10-15 minutes, turn halfway through for an even toast.
- Salad: In a large bowl, toss together the shredded kale, shredded Brussels sprouts, toasted pecans, cherries, and shiitake bacon. Top with champagne vinaigrette and avocado (optional)
To slice the brussels you can use a mandolin or simply do it by hand. To shred the kale, strip the leaves from the stems, stack the leaves on top of one another, roll them up and then slice. (chiffonaude)