Vegan Butternut Squash Alfredo
If you’re looking for an easy peasy fall vegan dish, you have to try this Butternut Squash Alfredo!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 4 servings
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (you can sub olive oil)
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 bag frozen whole foods butternut squash (4 cups)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- Salt/pepper as desired
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart vegan parmesan , plus more for serving (optional)
- Penne pasta
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- In a large skillet add the butter, sage, and chopped shallot. Saute until slightly soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Next add in the garlic, saute for 1-2 minutes and then add the defrosted butternut squash, pumpkin spice, optional red pepper flakes and saute for a few additional minutes minutes. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a quick boil then remove from heat. (If you're using fresh butternut squash cook for 10 minutes over medium until softened)
- Add soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, and almond milk to a food processor or blender, blend until smooth. Now add the butternut squash mixture and blend it all together. Add additional almond milk or broth to create the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Toss the sauce with cooked pasta and top with additional vegan parm, sage and toasted pine nuts
You can roast the butternut squash and or fry the sage for more flavor You can throw in shredded kale with the cooked pasta and sauce to give it more of a nutrient boost! Sauce can get dryer as it sits or is heat. Simply add more almond milk or broth to achieve the desired consistency.