Vegan Butternut Squash Burger
Hello & Happy Wednesday!
When the holidays hit, there is always leftovers that can be enjoyed throughout the week. However, I don’t know about you, but when it comes to enjoying these so called leftovers, I get bored.
That being said, I wanted to think up the most perfect concept that would aid in salvaging those leftovers, but using them to create something bigger and better.
My train of though was, if I can just take all those magical seasonal flavors, throw them together, and boom.. I’d have pure amazingness derived from leftovers!
and well, that’s exactly how the vegan Butternut Squash Burger was born!
This recipe came to fruition over a year ago and is still one of my favorites! Whether it winter or summer, I still crave those classic fall flavors and felt the need to recreate this beauty again. This burger is savory, yet sweet, and is packed to the max with nutrients and no processed ingredients.
What I love about this concept is, everything! It has accessible and affordable ingredients, requires minimal effort, uses oats as a binder instead of flour, is packed with nutrients such as quinoa, has protein with chickpeas, aesthetic appeal, a tartness with the pickled onions, is savory, sweet, and the garlic sage aioli just puts it over the top!
If you have an affinity for fall eats, then this burger will be your saving grace! You need to try my recipe for vegan Butternut Squash Burgers!
This recipe was made with Organic Grains Quinoa!
Why this recipe rocks:
Packed with quinoa and chickpeas
Garlic sage aioli, need I say more lol
Pickled red onion will change your life
Great for fall entertaining
30 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 1/2 cups frozen butternut squash, thawed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup diced apples
- 1 Tb olive oil
- ¾ cup oats (quick or rolled)
- 1/2 cup Panko
- 3/4 cup Organic Grains Tricolor Quinoa (cooked)
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon groung nutmeg, optional
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries (chopped)
- 1/2 cup pecans (toasted/crushed)
- Pickled red onion
- Sage Aioli:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 4 sage leaves
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt/pepper as desired
- 1 packages of shiitakes (sliced)
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tbs liquid smoke
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 red onion sliced
- 3 cups white vinegar
- Pickled red onion: Slice the onions and throw in a jar of 1 part vinegar another part water. Let it sit overnight, pure amazingness!
- Shiitake Bacon: Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and bake in the oven on 250 for 30 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms in midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard. (coat in ingredients for however long you can)
- In a pan over medium heat add oil and onions, cook until translucent. Add the apples, cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add the garlic, herbs ,and seasoning. cook for and additional 3 minutes. Add the defrosted butternut squash. combine and set aside.
- Place the oats in the bowl of a food processor. Process until a fine flour is achieved. Combine in a large bowl with the butternut squash mixture, Panko, pecans, chickpeas, cranberries, quinoa. Break up the ingredients with your hands and form patties. Shape the mixture into 6 patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat with a drizzle of olive and drop in the sage leaves. Cook for 3-5 minutes until slightly crispy. Remove 90% of the oil. Set aside to use in the aioli. Cook the burgers for 6 minutes on each side or until well browned. Serve warm and top with arugula, garlic sage aioli, avocado, shiitake bacon, and pickled red onion!
- Garlic Sage Aioli: Throw everything into a dish and set aside! You can adjust the amount of sage oil you infuse the mayo with!