Butternut Squash Flatbread
Hello & Happy Monday!!
While searching for more fab fall concepts the idea of a fall pizza just couldn’t escape me! We all love the traditional pizza, but I truly love to take a pizza and put a health model twist on it!
Pizza’s don’t have to be a caloric splurge, they can be nutrient dense and packed with flavor!
There are some recipes that are just a no brainer. This vegan fall flatbread is exactly that!
What I love about this recipe is that it involves a handful of fall veggies, is colorful, savory from the shiitake bacon, slightly sweet from the butternut squash, dried cranberries and balsamic glaze, and the vegan parmesan just puts it over the top!
If you’re looking for the perfect fall lunch or dinner concept or even a effortless small bite for entertaining..
You have to try my vegan Butternut Squash Flatbread!
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining
Non vegan approved
Eat Drink Shrink
25 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 Premade pizza dough
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded kale
- 1 cup shaved brussel sprouts
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart vegan parm
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans
- 1 large bunch fresh sage
- 1 packages of shiitakes (sliced)
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tbs liquid smoke
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Shiitake Bacon: Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and bake in the oven on 250 for 30 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard. (coat in ingredients for however long you can)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, cinnamon, maple syrup and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread the butternut squash out in a single layer on one or two baking sheets. Drizzle the olive oil mixture over and toss well to coat. Roast until vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring the veggies halfway through. Remove and set aside.
- Defrost the dough and lay out onto a lightly floured counter. Use your hands or a rolling pin to roll the dough out until you have a thin flattened disk. Place the pizza on a greased baking sheet and then use your hands to gently tug, pull and push the pizza dough into your desired shape.
- Coat the dough with olive oil mixture. Add the roasted butternut squash, shredded kale and brussels, and vegan parmesan. Bake the pizza for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and dough is slightly browned. Remove from the oven and top with sage, shiitake bacon, cranberries, and balsamic glaze.
- Balsamic glaze: Combine all the ingredients in a pan over medium/high heat. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Cook for 1 minutes on high, Let it bubble, then reduce to a simmer will thicken, and set aside.
For more options you can pack on the cheese, add caramelized onions, or sub apple slices for cranberries