Vegan Butternut Squash Shells
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
There are a few things that just go perfectly together, pumpkin, butternut squash, and sage! They blend so seamlessly together, it’s one of the main reasons I get excited about fall eats! (well besides brussels sprouts)
Needless to say, I was on the search for the next best butternut squash concept..
What I love about this recipe is.. everything. It has all the fall staples, tons of flavor, can be made in bulk, is affordable, savory with the shiitake bacon, cheesy with the garlic and sage cashew cream, and slightly sweet with the butternut squash. Pairing this dish with my favorite vegan parmesan cheese and toasted pecans, this recipe is a pure win win!
While I’m not crazy about pasta, the shells really take this fall concept next level by adding more presentation and making the dish more filling!
If you’re looking to tap into the perfect fall vegan recipe…
You have to try my vegan Butternut Squash Shells with shiitake bacon and garlic sage cashew cream!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Packed with nutrients
Packed with flavor
Perf for fall
More fiLling with pasta
Sage cashew cheese
Great for Thanksgiving
Eat Drink Shrink
45 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 1 medium butternut squash (or cubed)
- extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 cup Follow Your Heart vegan parm
- 16 jumbo shells
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 1½ cups raw cashews (or salted, but rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 garlic clove (roasted)
- 3½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp minced sage
- 4 cups shredded kale
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp white wine
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 packages of shiitakes (sliced)
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tbs liquid smoke
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Shiitake Bacon: Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and bake in the oven on 250 for 30 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard. (coat in ingredients for however long you can)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the ends off the garlic, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in aluminum foil and throw in the oven. Toss the sliced butternut squash or butternut squash sliced in half with seeds scooped out with a drizzle of olive oil and place face down with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Roast squash and garlic until golden brown for 20 to 25 minutes, rotate midway. Remove from heat, cool, place in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add nutmeg.
- Make the filling: In a medium skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Add the thinly sliced kale and white wine in increments, along with a pinch of salt, red pepper flakes, and sauté until all is slightly wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make the cashew cream: Blend together the drained raw cashews, almond milk, sage, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings. Throw in a pot on low heat for a few minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the shells and cook according to the package directions until al dente. Drain. Assemble the shells. Spread ¼ cup of the butternut squash on the bottom of an 11x7-inch baking dish. Fill each shell with some of the squash and top with shredded kale. Top the entire dish with vegan parm, a drizzle a little olive oil over the shells and bake for 15 minutes, or until browned on top and heated through. Remove from the oven and top with cashew cream. Top with shiitake bacon, pecans and garnish with sage leaves.