Vegan Caramelized Onion Cheese Dip
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
I can’t even begin to describe just how good caramelized onions are. I’ve always been an “onion person”, but while I’ve had them caramelized in various foods dining out, I absolutely never made them myself lol..
(until I made vegan French Onion Soup)
What I love about onions is that they can organically take on a sweet flavor profile once cooked for an extended period of time, making them the perfect addition to savory dishes to add a slight hint of sweetness!
If you gravitate towards onions, shiitake bacon or amazing vegan cheese dips that make you forget that what you’re consuming is actually sans dairy..
You will love this Caramelized Onion Cheese Dip!
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining
Non vegan approved
Savory, yet slightly sweet!
Serves 2 1/2 cups
20 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- Salt and pepper as desired
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp Better Body Foods coconut oil or my preference (vegan magic)
- 2 sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon Better Body Foods coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 block Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- ½ cup vegan Follow Your Heart sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon freshly, ground black pepper
- 1/2 cube dried vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 block soft tofu (drained)
- Shiitake bacon: Wash and slice shiitakes, soak in the mixture for as long as you can (the longer the better) and bake in the oven on 200 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Rotate midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be soft yet crispy. (would do in advance)
- Onions: Place onions in a crock pot on low, add the butter, coconut sugar, season with salt and cook for at least 3 hours until browned. Stir every 30-45 mins. (the slower the better, adds more flavor) or if you have less time cook sliced onions over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until onions turn a deep golden brown color. (can take as long as 20 minutes)
- Cheese dip: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place drained tofu in a food processor, blend until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients, blend again. Add the mixture to a greased skillet. Top with the shredded vegan cheese. cook for 10-15 mins, remove from heat, top with mushrooms and onions, cook for and additional 5-7mins until slightly crisp. Remove from heat, top with additional time, serve with toast points!