Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip
Hello & Happy Monday!!
If there is one veggie that I love, it’s onions! I use them in just about every recipe to create flavor, and simply modify the type based on the flavors. My personal favorites are red onions, but the one type that goes seamlessly with all recipes, is sweet onions! The onion bite is more mild than that of a red or white onion and they bring out a natural sweetness in dishes.
Having an affinity for all things onions, I created a staple French Onion Soup, but even long before that, a caramelized french onion dip. The original recipe was made in 2015 on a whim while not even in my own kitchen. The older version was made sans cashews, featured shiitake bacon, incorporated vegan cheese, and was baked. While I loved he flavors, I knew I wanted to revisit this recipe and simply tweak it a bit.
and the vegan Caramelized Onion Dip 2.0 was born!
What’s fab about this dish, as it’s a new take on the “traditional” french onion dip. The onions pack tons of flavor, are infused with thyme and white wine, and the cashew & tofu base give the dip body so it’s not just a runny mess! You can serve it with chips, veggies, bread or whatever you desire!
What I love about this recipe is, everything! It involves a handful of ingredients, a handful of steps, packs protein, can easily be made in bulk, the white whine and thyme enhance the natural flavors of the onions, it’s great for entertaining, and non vegan approved!
If you’re looking for a modern vegan dip that will make you look like a true iron chef, you have to try my vegan Caramelized Onion Dip!
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining
Non vegan approved
Savory, yet slightly sweet!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 4 cups
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 4 sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tsp vegan worcestershire
- 1/2 block tofu (I used firm, you can use soft)
- 1 1/2 cups soaked cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup almond milk, or as needed to create the ideal texture
- ¼ teaspoon salt/pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Onions: In a large pan over medium heat add the vegan butter, Throw in the sliced onions, sugar, salt, and cook for at least 20 minutes until browned. Stirring often to prevent burning. If they appear that they are burning, add a touch of butter. Once the the onions turn a deep golden brown color, add white wine, and cook for an additional 10 minutes until the wine is reduced. Now add the thyme, garlic, and worcestershire and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Remove a portion of the onions for topping and Set aside.
- Dip: Place drained tofu and all of the other ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add additional almond milk as needed to achieve desired consistency. Combine the onion mixture with the blended cashew mixture. Top with the onions you set aside. Sere cold, room temp, or even hot!
- To serve, Serve with chips, veggies, toast, crackers or whatever you desire!