Hello & Happy Thursday!!
This recipe I stumbled up while craving something pizza like, with cheese and of course easy homemade red sauce…. but perhaps a healthier option!
I’ll be honest, I’ve only dabbled in using cauliflower in vegan dishes..
I’ve made cauliflower steaks, a pizza, and mash back in 2012 and created buffalo bites and a spanish cheese dip incorporating cauliflower (mind.blown.), but I haven’t really branched out to explore cauliflower in all its glory let’s say lol..
THIS recipe was the tipping point that finally got my attention where all I could think was..
I NEED MORE CAULIFLOWER IN MY LIFE!!
Besides the fact that this recipe incorporates the magical vegetable called cauliflower that can be used in a myriad of diverse ways and never ceases to surprise me..
its effortless, affordable, and healthy!
What’s fab about this recipe?!
Great for kids
Great for entertaining
Craving pasta?! Throw these bites on some fresh pasta!
Can mix it up with seasonings and sauces
homemade spicy red sauce is packed with lycopene and completely makes the dish!
- 1 cup Panko
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup Vegan Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp flax flour
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 3-4 vine ripe tomatoes
- 2 sun dried tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil (more for cooking flower bites)
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 375 and wash and slice tomatoes and coat with olive oil and sea salt. Take garlic cloves and coat with olive oil and sea salt and wrap in aluminum foil. Cook for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool, Add to food processor, blend til smooth, add fresh red pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- In a large bowl, combine Panko, vegan Parm, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, onion powder and minced basil and set aside.
- Make flax egg by combing flax flour and almond milk, let it thicken for 3-4 mins
- No set up a line to make the cauliflower in batches, dredge cauliflower in flour, dip into flax eggs, then dredge in Panko mixture, pressing to coat.
- Add cauliflower to the skillet, 5 or 6 at a time, and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve immediately with homemade spicy red sauce
- Bake in the oven without oil for another variation with less calories!