Cauliflower Mash with Shiitake Bacon
Hello & Happy Thursday!
Fact: You can do a myriad of things with cauliflower.
make a sauce
make a pizza crust
and my favorite.. mash it
While cauliflower rice is becoming more and more widespread now (so good!), I thought I would share one of my regular “go to’s” since 2012 with a new twist featuring shiitake bacon!
I love this creation as its easy, filling, more nutrient dense than potatoes, has the classic mashed potatoes flavor profile and features shiitake bacon!!
If you’re looking to explore one of my favorite uses for cauliflower you have to try my recipe for vegan Cauliflower Mash with shiitake bacon!
Why this recipe rocks:
Better than mash
Great as a side dish!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 scallions - sliced
- 1 cup fresh shiitakes (thinly sliced)
- 2 tbsp Vegan Magic (or 2 tbs coconut oil & 1tsp liquid smoke)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Shiitake bacon: Wash and slice shiitakes, soak in the mixture for as long as you can (the longer the better) and bake in the oven on 200 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Rotate midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be soft yet crispy.
- Cauliflower mash: Heat a large pot of boiling water. Wash and remove the cauliflower stem and break into sections.
- Place in boiling water for 5 mins. Once softened and fork tender, place in a food processor or blender. Add the rest of the ingredients, blend until smooth, serve hot and top with scallions and shiitake bacon.