Vegan Crispy Coconut Curry Tofu
Hello & Happy Saturday!!
I haven’t made this recipe in quite some time (since early 2014), but it was one of the very first concepts I ever put together for a company that sparked my interest in going culinary.
I signed a deal to produce multiple recipes for a coconut flour company (see original recipe above) and the first thing I thought was, curry! While dessert options are endless for coconut flour, the savory component is a little bit more of a challenge.
What’s fab about coconut flour is that it can pair well with both savaory and sweet.. and even a hint of spice!
What I love most about this dish is that everything offers an individual flavor, but blends seamlessly together. It’s affordable, approachable, can pair with any veggie you like (I love bok choy), is crispy, sweet from the coconut flour and coconut rice and spicy from the Siracha!
If you’re looking for that effortless curry dish, you need to try my recipe for classic vegan Crispy Coconut Curry Tofu!
Why this recipe rocks:
Tons of curry flavor
Tons of coconut flavor
Can be paired with any veggie
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 2 servings
25 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 2 cups jasmine rice - 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar - (optional)
- 1 package firm tofu
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp siracha (or hot sauce)
- 1 sprig cilantro
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 bok choy (sliced in half)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup Panko
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp salt
- In a pot add 2 cups water and 1 can coconut milk with sea salt, and optional sugar. Once boiling add rice, then reduce to a simmer leaving the lid on top. Leave covered without peaking & then gently fluff with a fork.
- In a pan over medium heat cook grated ginger and garlic with oil (i like sesame oil). Once translucent, throw in the sliced bok choy face down and cook for a few minutes on low/medium heat to prevent burning the garlic. Once softened, set aside.
- Throw in 1/2 a can of coconut milk on high. Add curry powder, Siracha, and a few cilantro leaves (I threw in the whole stem, but would remove leaves). Let the sauce come to a boil. Add in two tbsp. of coconut flour and whisk the sauce.
- Slice tofu into rectangles and drain water onto paper towels. Make 3 bowls to crust tofu. One with coconut flou and corn starch, and optional curry powder/salt. The second bowl will have just coconut milk and the 3rd with tempura flakes, curry powder and salt.
- Dip dried off tofu in flour mixture, then coconut milk, then in the tempura flakes, making sure each side is evenly covered.
- Place coated tofu in a pan on high heat with oil. Allow to cook each piece until golden brown. Remove from heat and place on paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Serve tofu on top of coconut rice with the curry mixture. Garnish with fresh cilantro and bok choy. (or your veggie of choice!)