Coconut Curry Tofu
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
I typically share vegan dessert recipes, but have been exploring classic dinner recipes and putting a new vegan twist on them.
This dish came to mind while developing a recipe for a coconut flour company and I thought it would be wonderful to create a dish that was both savaory and sweet.. with a hint of spice!
What I love most about this dish is that everything offers an individual flavor, but effortlessly blends perfectly together.
On a personal note, coconut lime rice and battered tofu goes well with …everything, but mix it with a coconut curry sauce and you have sheer magic..
If you love a classic curry dish with fresh ingredients and lots of spice..
You’ll love this recipe!
also, studies show that consuming spicy foods raises your metabolism and creates a sensation of fullness faster than compared to other foods. So although rich in healthy fats with a mix of carbs, you’ll typically consume less with spicy dishes. For more of a feeling of fullness add more veggies to this dish!
(other spices that boost the metabolism is turmeric, all spice, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg)
Yields 2 servings
25 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- Juice 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup tempura flakes
- 2 cups jasmine rice - 4 cups water
- 1 package firm tofu
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp siracha
- 4 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 1 sprig cilantro
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. red pepper
- 1 tsp baking soda
- In a pot add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of coconut milk with sea salt. Once boiling add rice, then reduce to a simmer leaving the lid on top. Leave covered without peaking & then gently fluff with a fork. Top with a fresh squeeze of lime and lime zest.
- In a pan over medium heat cook grated ginger and garlic with sesame oil. Once garlic begins to brown throw in the diced red pepper.
- Cook mixture for 5-7 min and then throw in 1/2 a can of coconut milk on high. Add curry powder, Siracha, and a few cilantro leaves. Let the sauce come to a boil. Add in two tbsp. of coconut flour and whisk the sauce.
- Slice tofu into rectangles and drain water. Make 3 bowls to crust tofu. One with coconut flour, baking soda, 3 tsp curry, 1 tsp salt whisked together. 2nd bowl with just coconut milk and 3rd with tempura flakes.
- Dip dried off tofu in flour mixture, then coconut milk, then in the tempura flakes, making sure each side is evenly covered.
- Place coated tofu in a pan on high heat with coconut & sesame oil. Allow to cook each piece until golden brown. Remove from heat and place on paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Serve tofu on top of rice with the curry mixture. Top with fresh cilantro and lime zest.