Vegan Coconut Lemongrass Soup
Hello & Happy Friday!!
I’d like to start by saying I’m not a “soup” person. I find them not filling, always having to be enjoyed with bread, which defeats the purpose and I’m always paranoid about sodium.
Which is why I prefer to make them myself with a flavor profile so fab that it’s filling, memorable, and I don’t need masses of bread or salt.
This recipe came to mind as I love lemongrass. While I had never made anything with lemongrass I alway gravitated towards the flavor whenever dining out. Truth, I had not idea that lemongrass was so hard to find in New York City. Many things are easy to obtain in the city, while strangely some are not (aka ben and jerry”s new vegan ice cream).
Needless to say, I nearly gave up on ever finding lemongrass, until I realized, it is at the local market in my neighborhood.
My favorite thing about this recipe is that it packs tons of nutrienst, flavor, is effortless, and will have you completely enamored with lemongrass.
If you have an affinity for effortless soups that pack coconut milk, spice, and a hint of sweetness, You need to try my vegan Coconut Lemongrass Soup!
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining
Can be made in bulK
Yields 4 bowls soups
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 lemongrass stalk, finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, or 1 tbsp. jarred sliced kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 cup shiitake caps, rinsed, chopped
- juice of 1 1/2 lime
- 2-3 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 package of soba noodles
- 2 red serrano peppers or jalapeños
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 3/4 red bell pepper sliced
- Heat coconut oil in large saucepan or stock pot over medium heat. Add lemongrass, garlic, and ginger, and sautee for about two minutes. Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, coconut sugar, peppers, and lime juice/kaffir lime. Bring to a boil, lower heat and add shiitakes and sliced bell pepper. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Season generously with salt. Add the soba noodles and cook until al dente (just firm to bite). Drain and rinse noodles under cold water. Allow to drain and set aside in a bowl. Combine with the soup and serve warm.
- top with scallions and fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
for more spice add 1 1/2 tsp thai red curry paste