Vegan Thai Coconut Lemongrass Soup
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
I’d like to start by saying I’m not a “soup” person. I find them not filling at times unless feeling under the weather or the dead of winter, but I have always loved this soup! Growing up this was my mothers favorite soup. While I didn’t grow to love it til later, the flavor profile is just nostalgic to me and even just typing about it makes me crave it lol.
This recipe was one of the first concepts I ever produced in our tiny NYC apartment while drowning in grad school. The images were ok, but not my favorites, making me want to revisit this classic dish even more. In the culinary world, everything is based on aesthetics (truth). I could have the best recipe, but if it’s not captured well it sadly means nothing. So I added this recipe to my remake bucket list..
and I’m just so glad I did!
For those who feel nervous working with lemongrass, I get you! It looks like a stick, if you don’t peel enough of the outer edge it can be chewy, but if you have anxiety about working with it you can opt for just the lemongrass paste for a more seamless process.
I can’t even begin to tell you what part of this recipe is my favorite, because I just love it all! It’s quick, easy, affordable, can easily be made in bulk, packs nutrients, packed with veggies, you can add tofu to make it even more filling, perf for any season, has a hint of sweet, and a hint of heat, and is just hands down my favorite soup!
If you’re searching for that staple soup to add to your cooking routine, you need to try my vegan Thai Coconut Lemongrass Soup!
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining
Can be made in bulK
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 4 bowls soups
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 lemongrass stalk, finely chopped
- 2 tsp lemongrass paste (optional)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup sliced shiitakes
- juice of 1 lime
- 2-3 scallions, peeled or chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 squares of dried ramen or noodles of your choice
- 2 tsp thai red curry paste
- 1 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups mung beans
- 1 bunch cilantro (garnish)
- 1 lime (wedges, garnish)
- salt/pepper as desired
- Heat coconut oil in large saucepan or stock pot over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, lemongrass, and lemongrass paste (optional), thai curry paste, and sautee for about two minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, add the coconut milk, shiitakes, red bell pepper, mung beans, and cook for 10 minutes until veggies are softened.
- Add in the noodles, cook for an additional 5. Then remove from heat, stir in the lime juice.
- Top with scallions, fresh cilantro, red pepper flakes lime wedges.
for more spice add 1 1/2 tsp thai red curry paste