Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
If there is one soup that I’ve always been completely enamored with, it’s..
Cream of Mushroom Soup!
I believe it stems from my affinity for all things mushrooms and onions, but whatever it is, its definitely my cup of soup! Like the majority of soup varieties though, I haven’t experienced them in ages as they are always packed with broths derived from animal products, heavy cream, and sodium.
Knowing firsthand that the classic Cream of Mushroom soup is typically laden with dairy giving it that creamy texture, I was hesitant to take on my favorite soup out of fear that it would just be a complete dud.
After a few years of cooking though, I felt I should give it a go.. and thank goodness I did!
While there is a perfect substitute for heavy cream, coconut cream is a great alternative as long as it doesn’t overpower the soup. That being said, given all of the ingredients in this recipe, the one can of coconut cream used didn’t shift the flavor profile and added a richness that mirrored the classic version.
What I loved about this recipe is truly, everything. It packs tons of flavor, texture, a creaminess, cost pennies to make, is effortless as can be and in perhaps my second favorite soup next to my Tomato Basil just out of personal preference.
If you’re a die hard mushroom soup person or simply love a good staple vegan soup recipe, you have to try my vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup!
Want to see just how easy this recipe is?! watch this clip above!
Why this recipe rocks:
Non vegan approved when they even hate mushrooms (true story)
Can be made in bulk
Yields 4 bowls
30 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 6 C diced cremini mushrooms
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- In a large pot heat vegan butter over medium heat and add mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes until soft and fragrant. Remove two cups of mushrooms, set aside. Now add the chopped onion and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Once the mushrooms have shrunk and begun to release moisture, while the onion starts to brown, reduce heat, stir in minced garlic and thyme and continue to stir. Add the flour and continue to stir. cook for 3 minutes.
- Once most of the of moisture is absorbed, add in white wine and simmer for 5 minutes. Continue to stir to remove any clumps from the flour. Then add in coconut milk, vegetable stock, sea salt, and ground pepper. Stir to combine the soup and then bring to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered for at 20 minutes. The soups should reduce slightly and gain a thicker consistency. Take the soup to the blender and puree it. Toss in the mushrooms you remove earlier to add texture. Garnish with thyme and serve warm with toasted french bread topped with vegan parmesan cheese.