Vegan Eggplant Rollatini
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
Truth, my favorite thing to do with eggplant is roast it, blend it, and make babaganoush!
Other things I like to do are make fried eggplant. (been forever) Although it may taste divine, frying a vegetable completely depletes it of any nutrients making it not the best option.
Dish provided by Fab.com
This recipe however, is perfect for those who are trying to reduce their pasta intake and explore more nutrient dense options that pack tons of flavor and are aesthetically pleasing.
If you love eggplant as much as I do, then you’ll love this effortless combination of eggplant with a basil tofu cheese!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made in bulk
Yields 6-8 servings
25 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and sliced lengthwise ?” thick
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 block of tofu (I used firm)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 cup chopped kale (removed from stalks/massaged)
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup Follow Your Heart Parmesan vegan cheese (more for topping)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can of organic whole peeled tomatoes, chopped, save the juice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbs red pepper
- salt and pepper (½ teaspoon of each)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Slice each eggplant lengthwise into ? “ thick sections. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and grease with olive oil and top with salt and pepper. Lay them out on the lined cookie sheet, not touching. Cook at 375 degrees F for around 25-30 min or until tender. Remove eggplant once tender and place them on a drying rack or flip occasionally while cooling to prevent condensation making them too moist.
- While eggplant is in the oven heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped garlic, red pepper, salt, black pepper.Cook for about 30 seconds and then add chopped tomatoes and the juice from the can. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes to thicken the sauce, then remove from heat. In a bowl combine the tofu, spinach, kale, vegan parmesan cheese, basil, lemon juice, garlic salt, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, stir to combine.
- Pour the tomato sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of tofu mixture on the wider end of the eggplant and roll them up. Place each roll seam side down into the sauce. Place the dish into the oven for 15-20 minutes more until hot.