Vegan “Chicken” Francese
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
I can’t even tell you the last time I had chicken francese, but has been ages. However the length of time, if you ever experienced it, the sauce is superb! It’s lemony, buttery, and just memorable. Fast forward to today, I woke up at 3am because my puppy Burt.. well, always wakes up in the middle of the night.
This time however, I couldn’t go back to sleep. I tossed and turned and thought I should at least try and be productive and brainstorm for a new recipe and poof..
The vegan Tofu Francese was born lol
A myriad of classic meat focused dishes are hard to replicate. You can get the sauce to be vegan and on point, but to find a faux meat that works is daunting. However, I previously explored fried tofu and it absolutely mirrors the same crust as that on the traditional Italian dish.
What I love about this dish as it offers the same flavor profile as that of the classic francese, is affordable, ingredients are accessible, can be made in minimal time, has perfect presentation, lemony, buttery, and will shock the tastebuds of even your non vegan friends.
This dish requires no long lengthy story, no sales pitch, etc..
If you’re one who gravitates towards pasta, or have a previous affinity for francese or simply love modernized vegan eats..
You have to try this recipe for vegan Tofu Francese, like, now lol
Why this recipe rocks:
Can easily be made in bulk
Non vegan approved
Great aesthetic appeal
(can be made with white wine)
Just how easy is it?
Watch this tutorial
Serves 1 bowl
25 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 package firm tofu, sliced
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3-4 tbs Follow Your Heart Vegan egg
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- Salt/Pepper as desired
- 3-4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 3/4 cup vegetable broth (reserve 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch (cornflour) mixed with 1 tablespoon of vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup white wine (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice -- juice of 1 lemon (adjust to your tastes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- vegan Follow Your Heart Parmesan Cheese
- 4 bowls of cooked linguini
- Follow Your Heart Vegan Parm
- Fill a small pot fill mid way with vegetable oil. In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper. In a separate bowl combine lemon juice, vegan egg powder and almond milk. Lightly drain tofu blocks with paper towels, slice, set aside. Lay out a cooling rack on top of paper towels.
- Once the oil is hot enough, you can test it by tossing in a small bit of something and wait for a sizzle, dredge in the egg mixture, then the flour mixture; shake off excess and toss into the oil. Tofu patties should cook to a light brown in 2-3 minutes. Remove, set aside to drain any residual oil. Continue until all patties are done.
- For the Lemon Sauce. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add lemon juice and white wine (if desired). Add 2 3/4 cups of chicken broth and parsley. Bring to a boil and stir for approximately 5 minutes. Combine remaining stock with 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch and stir together until the cornstarch is dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan and stir constantly until sauce is slightly thickened. Toss the pasta in the sauce, top with the tofu patties, sliced lemons, parsley, and vegan parm!