Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
In keeping with this weeks tradition of breaking out some of my older recipes that I’ve never shared lol… (I have a midterm this week)
I’m actually shocked I waited so long to share this beauty!
As this one, is definitely a keeper!
This recipe came to fruition as I have a huge affinity for all things lime, all things spicy and most importantly..
All things coconut!!
I love this recipe for a myriad of reasons, even though I honestly wasn’t crazy about the images. (its totally hard to get clear shots with so many crevices from the crust)
It was effortless, had a perfect crunch, tangy, spicy, and not fried!!
If you love this flavor profile, then you have to try this recipe for Vegan Chili Lime Coconut “Chicken” Tenders!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining
You’ll thank me later
- 1 package of Gardein vegan chicken strips
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tsp spanish spice blend
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 flax eggs or two Follow Your Heart Eggs mixed w/almond milk
- 1 cup panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Lime to squeeze over strips once cooked
- Spicy MayoDipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup Vegenaise mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 adobo peper minced for more spice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Begin by preheating your oven 350 degrees F. Brush a non-stick baking sheet with extra virgin olive oil. Set aside.
- Gather three bowls. In one bowl, combine flour, salt, chile powder, spanish spice blend, and black pepper. In the second bowl, whisk together the vegan flax eggs or follow your heart vegan eggs and milk. In the third bowl, combine the coconut and panko.
- Dip a chicken tenderloin into the flour, shaking off any excess, then into the vegan egg mixture, and finally into the coconut and panko mixture. Place the chicken on the baking sheet. Repeat with all of the chicken.
- Bake on the middle of the rack for 15-18 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. To prevent the coconut from getting to dark while baking, if necessary, lightly cover the baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- For the spicy mayo, whisk together all of the ingredients and serve in a small bowl.