Vegan Fried Zucchini Blossoms
Hello & Happy Monday!
If I could use one word to describe the experience of working with zucchini blossoms it would be..
In all honesty I couldn’t find zucchini blossoms since they came about years ago, even in New York City! Fast forward to 2016, I finally came across them in Maryland at an outdoor farmers market and ecstatically gave them a go.
While I get excited about working with any type of new food, these I just found extrardinary! Not only are they aesthetically beautiful, but they add texture, you can stuff them with whatever you like, bake them, fry them, and they effortlessly add a fun twist to any recipe!
What I like most about this recipe is of course the zucchini flowers themselves, how they are served warm & crisp, the vegan parmesan paired with the shiitake bacon is just phenomenal, and served alone or with sautéed zucchini its just pure heaven!
If you love innovative and festive seasonal dishes you have to explore my recipe for vegan Zucchini Blossoms with shiitake bacon and parmesan cheese!
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining
Great for an app or as an addition to a larger dish!
Works perf with sautéed zucchini
Eat Drink Shrink
25 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 4 tbsp vegan Follow Your Heart egg powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 8-9 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup almond milk mixed with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 8-10 zucchini flowers
- 3/4 cup Follow Your Heart vegan parm
- 3-4 slices prosciutto cut into small strips
- 1 cup shiitakes sliced
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp vegan worcestershire
- cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp Tamari
- Oil for frying
- Zucchini for ribbons
- Truffle oil (optional)
- Shiitake bacon: coat the sliced shiitakes in all the ingredients and let soak for as long as you can for optimal flavor, or simply coat and throw in the oven set at 200 degrees and bake for 45mins. Rotate shiitakes midway to ensure they cook evenly. Should be slightly crisp!
- Blossoms: In a medium- sized bowl using a whisk and combine the powdered vegan eggs well, whisk in salt, then flour 1 tablespoon at a time ( first 5 tablespoons) then add almond milk with apple cider vinegar, whisk until smooth, and then add last 3-4 tablespoons, and continue whisking until smooth, should be thick enough to coat the zucchini blossoms. To Clean the zucchini, trim the top of the flower, then cut down the middle and remove the middle stem (stamen) leave approximately 1/2 inch (1 centimeter) of stem. Rinse and towel dry.
- Stuff the flower with shiitake bacon and vegan parmesan and twist and seal the ends. Dip each into the batter, coat well, fry till golden in hot oil, drain on paper towels then serve alone or with sautéed zucchini ribbons topped with truffle oil.