Oven Roasted Salsa
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
If there is one recipe I can never get enough of, it’s homemade salsa. While still getting my feet wet in the world of cooking, this was one of the first recipes I explored. If you have an affinity for sales like I do, you always have some on hand and you typically buy it. While buying store ought options can be more practical if you’re crammed for time, but I can promise you one thing..
Homemade versions taste 349384398x better!!
So why make your own?
In addition to the flavor being a million times better with a homemade version, it’s actually more cost effective in that you get more for your money, you can modify the flavor to cater to your preferences and you don’t have to worry about any preservatives in your food.
In a food technology course at NYU we had to pick a store bought product and replicate it based on the ingredients listed on the label. I assumed salsa that’s typically comprised of tomatoes and onions would be the easiest option in terms of replicating. Little did I know it wouldn’t be lol. While we used all of the listed ingredients, we still kept missing something within the flavor. After replicating it upwards of 5x, we finally added citric acid an boom, it tasted exactly like it! Although not on the label, a company legally doesn’t have to list it if it’s combined with another.
The takeaway is that we never really know 100% as to what is in pre-made products. Whether it be salsa or a frozen vegan patty , you’re just better off making the recipe from scratch!
Above is an image from the original recipe I created back in 2014! (I sadly like it better than the new images and this is a much better camera lol #palmtoface)
I simply love everything about this recipe. It’s quick, easy, affordable, packs tons of veggies, tons of flavor, you can add spices if you like, perf for any season, perf for entertaining, can easily be made in bulk, and pairs well with countless dishes!
If you’re searching for the perf snack that will please anyone and everyone, vegan or not, you need this classic recipe for Oven Roasted Salsa like yesterday!
Yields 4 cups
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1whole white onion, quartered
- 4-5 vine ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 jalapeno, sliced in half, seeds removed
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 whole lime (juice)
- 15 sprigs of cilantro
- Olive oil as needed
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Quarter onions and tomatoes, cut jalapeño lengthwise, and wrap garlic bulb in aluminum foil with a drizzle of olive oil. Drizzle olive oil over all of the veggies and sprinkle with salt and pepper. onion salt and bake for 15 minutes (little burnt crispys are good, adds more flavor in my opinion, once you see a few, move them around, bake a little more then remove from heat)
- Let cool, place in a food processor with lime juice, cilantro and additional salt. Blend until smooth.
You can also add cumin, apple cider vinegar or adobo sauce and peppers!