Oven Roasted Salsa
Hello & Happy Friday!!
I’ll have you know, that I have a blackbelt in making homemade salsa..
Let’s just say in my undergrad food technology course I had the pleasure of taking a store bought product and recreating it. I chose to remake a popular salsa and had the chance to test it over, and over, and over again.. needless to say, salsa haunted me for months following that project lol..
One of my favorite healthy snacks is guacamole and salsa. Super easy, super cheap, super tasty, and nutrient dense.
If I had to compare this recipe to your store bought brands I would make it comparable to Xochitl Salsa, which is the most authentic I’ve come across. (faves)
If you’re ever thinking of picking up a premade salsa, slap yourself on the hand and remember this recipe, because its so easy to make it yourself and it tastes THAT much better.
- 1whole white onion
- 4-5 vine ripe tomatoes
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Spanish seasonings
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 chilis in adobo sauce (minced with a little bit of sauce)
- 1 whole lime (juice)
- 6 sprigs cilantro
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil as needed
- - Place onions, tomatoes, garlic in the oven and top with a little olive oil, salt, spanish seasonings, onion salt and bake on 450 for 7-15 minutes (little burnt crispys are good, adds more flavor in my opinion, once you see a few, move them around, bake a little more then remove from heat)
- - Let cool, place in a food processor with adobo peppers (depending on how spicy you like it, this is medium spice), throw in a bunch of cilantro, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, and blend!
- throw in some kale for added nutrients