Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
Whether vegan or not, we’ve all been aware of the Huevos Rancheros epidemic.
Perhaps it was the sound of it or the fact that I have an affinity for all things mexican and anything with an avocado..
but I always loved the appeal of it, but then when I’d see people eating it, it honestly didn’t look that great. (truth)
In short, it was some eggs, a lot of rice and beans that probably didn’t offer a lot of flavor, but were more just plate fillers lol
So this concoction was inspired by that classic dish!
What sets this version apart from others is the obvi, that its animal product free, but it packs refried beans, tofu that’s been seasoned with chilis in adobo sauce and cooked with vegan spicy sausage and is topped with all the fab fixings such as homemade enchilada sauce, spiced potatoes, mountain of avocado, lime tofu sour cream..
and even comes with homemade tomatillo sauce..
Not to mention its also served on fried tortillas.
Fact: you will have a lot of dirty dishes after you make this dish.
Better fact: Its perf for making in bulk and entertaining vegan and non vegan guests. Their minds will be blown and you can go ahead and dust your shoulders off because you created an amazing vegan Huevos Rancheros.
If you love spanish foods, if you have a pulse.
Make this dish.
Why this recipe rocks:
Totally 3984398 better than the classic “Huevos Rancheros“
- 1 can refried beans (or one can)
- 4 soft tortillas
- 1 block firm tofu
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 chili in adobo sauce
- 4-5 small potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegan Magic Bacon coconut oil or Olive oil
- 2 Field Roast spicy sausages
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart tofu sour cream
- 1/2 lime
- 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1/2 small can tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 3 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp spanish spices
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tomatillos
- 1 onion
- 2 limes
- 2 jalapeños
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Anaheim pepper
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Tomatillo sauce: Roast onion, tomatillos, garlic, and jalapeño in the oven coated lightly in olive oil on 350 for 20-25 minutes, let cool, then throw in a food processor or If you don't want to bother with it, just throw it all in a food processor and blend. The color will be lighter like mine
- Wash, slice, and coat potatoes in Magic bacon oil or olive oil, sea salt, and spices. Bake for 20 minutes until crispy.
- In a small pan over medium heat add a drizzle of olive oil, tomato paste, and spices. After 2 minutes gradually add the vegetable broth. Add additional seasons to taste. Once combine and more sauce like, set aside.
- Sour Cream Sauce: combine sour cream and lime
- In a small pan cook cubed tofu over a drizzle of olive oil on med/high heat. Add the chilis in adobo sauce. Continue to cook for 5-7 minutes until you get a good sear. Set aside to stack.
- Fill a deep pot with vegetable oil. Set on high. Once heated on high throw the tortillas in one at a time. Should cook for 2 minutes max. Flip over midway to ensure and even cook. Place on a cooling rack with a paper towel underneath to absorb excess oil.
- Once fried tortillas have cooled assemble the Huevos Rancheros by spreading the refried beans and tofu on them and top with the sauces, avocado, cilantro, fresh lime and serve with tomatillos sauce
- For more spice add fresh jalapeño