Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
They say if you want to make something awesome, you have to work with what you like…
This Mediterranean style pizza is all of that piled high upon a homemade crust. Its a win win.
I’ve neer personally had a Mediterranean style pizza, but to take classic ingredients that blend seamlessly together and incorporate beet hummus, “chicken” and fresh avocado turned out to be one of my fave recipes for healthy pizzas!
Although there was no cheese used, I promise with everything going on in this recipe that you don’t even need it.
This pizza is savory, salty, and sweet with the addition of beets.
With all of the intricate flavors coming together as you would imagine..Its non vegan approved!
If you love mediterranean style foods, you have to try this recipe!!
Why this recipe rocks:
No cheese needed
Great with wine
Non vegan approved
- For the crust
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon yeast
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- cracked black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1 large beet
- 3 tbsp tahini
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 big bunches of organic flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 c. dry quinoa (optional)
- 1/2 c kale finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mint minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1-2 avocados
- 1 shallot sliced
- 1/2 cup Italian olives
- 1 1/2 cups mini heirloom tomatoes, cut into half
- 1 package Gardein "Chicken"
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375. Wash, peel, and quarter beets. Coat with olive oil and sea salt and roast for 30 minutes until fork tender. Set aside to cool. Throw all the ingredients in a food processor and blend.
- Crust: To make the crust, add yeast and sugar to warm water and allow to proof for 5 minutes.
- Heat oven to lowest setting, after preheating is done, turn it off.
- While the yeast is proofing, combine the salt, nutritional yeast, garlic, and flour in the bowl. Once yeast is bubbling, combine with the flour mixture and then add the olive oil. Start to mix the dough by hand and then start to knead it on a floured surface. The dough should be soft but not sticky; add more flour if necessary. Remove the dough from the bowl and form it into a nice ball. Pour a little more olive oil into the bottom of the bowl and put the dough back in, turning it once to coat with olive oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, set it in the preheated oven, and allow to rise for for at least 45 minutes to an hour.
- When the dough has risen, punch it down, remove it from the bowl, and place it on a clean, well-floured counter. To make the dough more manageable, divide the dough into 3 equal portions so that you can achieve the right size. Roll each portion out to a thickness of 1/8-1/4″.
- Roll out the dough onto a greased pizza pan, coat the edges with olive oil and bake for 15-20 minutes on 350 degrees before golden brown. Then top with beet hummus, tabouli, avocado, chickpeas, italian olives, "chicken" and shallots!
- Coat the tomatoes and shallots in olive oil and sea salt, bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until roasted
- In a small pan over medium/high heat cook the defrosted "chicken" with 1tbsp olive oil. Don't touch for 1-2 minutes until you get a good sear. Cook for an additional 5 minutes and top with cumin.
- Whisk the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, black pepper and salt together in a small bowl,
- Wash the parsley and thoroughly dry it. Remove stems, then grab a handful and roll it up and slice the roll as thinly as possible.
- Add the parsley, kale, mint, and set aside to let the flavors combine.
- eggplant could be another topping to add!