Jalapeno Mac and Cheese
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
As I’ve gotten older and more into cooking, I’ve also developed an affinity for all things..
For years I would avoid anything with heat like the plague as I felt it detracted from the overall flavor profile of recipes. Low and behold, I was completely wrong lol.
Spice not only adds to flavor, but it enhances it.
Fun Story: I can distinctly recall someone giving me a habanero pepper as a joke when I was 17 at a restaurant and I remember feeling as though my entire body was on fire from my head to my toes, breaking out in sweats and just feeling every terrible feeling all at once lol..
Needless to say, it probably was a contributing factor in deciding to throw in towel with all things spicy
This recipe is simple, classic, easy, and cheesy/Spicy all rolled into one!
If you love mac and cheese, if you love spice, than you have to try this recipe for Fried Jalapeño Mac + Cheese
Why this recipe rocks:
Full of Spice
Great for entertaining
Yields 15 to 20
25 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 3 cups pasta (your choice)
- 2-3 jalapeños, diced
- 2 Follow Your Heart Vegan Eggs
- Spanish spices blend (cumin, chili powder etc)
- 1 block Follow your heart vegan jalapeño cheese
- 1 1/2 cups panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- Sea Salt as desired
- 1 medium size bottle Canola oil for frying
- In a large pot melt the FYH vegan cheese, add a few splashes of almond milk if needed to assist. Once melted, throw in the cooked pasta, and diced jalapeño.
- Remove from heat, set aside to cool. Once cooled form balls and place in the fridge on a baking sheet covered in plastic wrap to set for at least 1-2 hrs.
- In a small bowl, beat the follow your heart eggs mixed with water (amount specified on package). In another small bowl, combine the panko crumbs, flour and spices.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat 3 to 4 inches of canola oil over medium-high heat. Working in small batches of 3 to 4, dredge the mac and cheese balls in the vegan egg, then in the panko mixture. Add the the hot oil and fry until golden brown and hot in the center, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with sea salt and repeat until all the mac and cheese balls are fried. Top with additional diced jalapeño and spices. Serve immediately.