Kale Mac & Cheese
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
But.. I had thought of doing a kale mac and cheese recipe for a while now.. and finally, it manifested itself in full force.
All I can say is.. woW.
If you’re a huge fan of the classic mac and cheese, but crave more flavor, texture and greens..
You’ll love this Kale Mac & Cheese!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made in bulk
Great for entertaining
- 6 ounces spiralized pasta (or any kind)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch kale
- 1 purple turnip
- 1 bunch thyme
- 2 ounces vegan white cheese (I used follow your heart)
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegan parmasan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- Hemp seeds for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Wash and dry all fresh produce. Heat a large pot of salted water to boiling on high. Remove and discard the kale stems; thinly slice the leaves. Cut out and discard the root end of the turnip; peel and medium dice. Peel and mince the garlic. Pick the thyme leaves off the stems; discard the stems and roughly chop the leaves. Grate the cheddar cheese.
- Add pasta to the pot of boiling water. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, or until almost al dente. Drain thoroughly. Rinse, wipe out, and reuse pot.
- In the pot used to cook the pasta, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the kale and turnip; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 4 to 6 minutes, or until the kale has wilted and the turnip is tender. Transfer to a bowl. Wipe out the pot.
- In the same pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium until hot. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the flour; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until toasted and golden. Add the almond milk and 1 cup of water; cook, stirring occasionally, 4 to 6 minutes, or until slightly thickened. (If sauce appears dry, gradually add up to ¼ cup of water to achieve desired consistency.)
- Stir the cubed vegan Follow Your Heart cheese, Parmesan cheese, spices and half the thyme into the pot. Cook, stirring frequently, 1 to 5 minutes (vegan cheese takes longer), or until thoroughly combined. Stir in the cooked vegetables and cooked pasta; cook, stirring occasionally, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until thoroughly combined and warmed through. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the filling to a baking dish. Place the breadcrumbs in a small bowl; add enough olive oil to moisten them. Season with salt and pepper. Evenly top the filling with the moistened breadcrumbs. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy on top. Remove from the oven. Let stand for about 2 minutes before serving. Top with extra thyme and hemp seeds.