Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
While I’m not a huge pasta person, I love lasagna, and carbs!
Put those two together and you have
This recipe came to fruition while craving some pasta and fresh bread, more importantly something that could wow my friends at a gathering.
What I love most about this recipe for Lasagna bread is that it’s easy, innovative, great for entertaining, has minimal ingredients, and if you’re craving a healthier option you can easily use basil cashew cheese and pack it with tons of veggies!!
If you’re looking for a dish for your next gathering that will impress both your vegan and non vegan peeps, this Lasagna Bread is it!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made in bulk
Great for entertaining
Cab be packed with veggies
Can use cashew cheese instead
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packets Yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 6 lasagna noodle sheets
- 1 block Follow Your Heart vegan Mozeralla shredded
- 1 package of vegan beef crumbles
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1-2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- Organic pasta sauce (1 smal jar)
- 3 tbs melted butter mixed with 1 tsp garlic powder
- Garnish: basil
- Preheat the oven to 300. Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, dry yeast and salt in a large mixer bowl and stir until blended. Combine water, almond milk and vegan butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH in 15 second increments until very warm but not hot to the touch (120° to 130°F. Butter won’t melt completely). Add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in just enough remaining flour so that the dough will form into a ball. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic and springs back when lightly pressed with 2 fingers, about 6 to 8 minutes. Turn off the oven and cover the dough in a greased bowl with Surround wrap and let it rise for 1-2hrs.
- In a large pot heat salted water for the pasta. Once boiling throw in the sheets. In a medium size pan add minced garlic and a drizzle of olive oil. Cook for 2mins until translucent. Then add the defrosted beef crumbles and add the red pepper flakes. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and reduce heat.
- Roll the bread dough out into a rectangle; approximately 18 inches by 12 inches. Lay the lasagna out vertically and create layers with the vegan meat and cheese. Make cuts along both sides of the bread dough, about 1 inch apart. Cut just up to the lasagna filling. Create a loaf by crisscrossing the dough over the filling. Start at one end and work your way from side to side until you reach the other end.
- Bake the loaf at 350 for 35 minutes.Combine the melted butter and garlic powder then brush the mixture over the baked lasagna bread. Top with fresh basil and serve hot.