Mushroom Tofu Soup
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
In my current search for all things warm, filling, and affordable, I decided to combine my love for mushrooms and soup!!
For ages I avoided soups like the plague for a multitude of reasons. I always feel like I never know what’s in them! The paranoia sets in.. is there chicken broth in it? dairy? is it low sodium? The idea of consuming pounds of sodium makes me feel bloated just thinking about it. So like most things, sometimes you have to just “make it yourself”.
For this recipe I chose to use low sodium broth to avoid excess salt, mushrooms and tofu as they effortlessly absorb flavor and are quite filling, and coconut milk because its a great dairy alternative.
I’m not sure if it was the sage or the coconut milk, but the end result…
was sheer perfection.
- - baby bells mushrooms, washed, trimmed, sliced
- - tofu - firm, organic, cubed
- - sage - 3 leaves minced
- - 1 sweet onion finely chopped
- - 1/2 can coconut milk
- - 4 cups vegetable broth
- - tbsp sesame oil
- - 1.5 tbsp vegan butter
- - 1 tbsp soy sauce
- - In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion and sauté about 3-5 minutes, until browned. Now, add the mushrooms and sauté for about 10 minutes until all their water has evaporated and they are shrunken and fragrant. Add the fresh sage.
- - In a separate pan cook the cubed tofu in sesame oil and soy sauce for 5-10 minutes until edges are crispy
- - Now, add the vegetable broth to the mushrooms and onions, and throw in the tofu. Bring to a boil then cover. Turn down to low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- - Add the coconut milk, and top with sage to combine over low heat.
- - If you don't want to use butter, you can use coconut oil
- - If you don't want to cook the tofu you can throw them in raw
- - If you don't want to use soy sauce, you can use Bragg's amino acids