Pesto Portobello Sandwich
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
A few items you’ll always find in my fridge:
3. Portobello Mushroom Caps.
Although portobello caps are overlooked at times I’ve always been a HUGE fan of mushrooms particularly because they pack TONS of flavor and texture! (on top of the fact that they are a bargain!)
This particular recipe came to fruition while craving a fresh pesto!
Let me start by saying, I’m not one who is completely enamored with Italian food.
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE olive oil, basil, and FRESH homemade pasta, but for the most part its not at the top of my list for favorite cuisines.
This Portobello Pesto Sammie packs all the Italian like flavor sans TONS of calories! How do I know its THAT GOOD?!
It didn’t even need cheese.. BOOM
If you’re looking for an effortless Italian vegan sammie that can be made in bulk and last throughout the week… (I’d totally eat it for a week straight)
This recipe will become one of your staples!!
- 4 vine ripe tomatoes
- 2 two portobello mushroom caps
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 lemon
- 3 tsp sea salt (as desired)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 cup arugula
- 1tbsp red pepper flakes
- 5 basil leaves
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Wash and slice vine ripe tomatos and place on a pan. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, dried basil, sea salt as desired and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes. Place in a food processor and blend with additional olive oil for desired consistency and add red pepper. Set aside.
- Wash and clean out portobellos and top with olive oil, 1 tsp sea salt, pepper, and garlic salt and cook for 15-20 minutes face up. (if cooked face down they absorb less flavor and are flatter)
- Place bread in the oven 18 minutes in to toast the bread
- In a food processor blend first blend garlic and pine nuts, then spinach, and basil, then add the lemon juice, 1 tsp sea salt, and olive oil for desired consistency, set aside.
- Once the mushrooms are done slice and create layers with the pesto and top with arugula. Serve with spicy red sauce
- Place garlic in the oven coated with olive oil to use with pesto for more flavor 🙂