Pickled Asian Cucumber Salad
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
With the holidays around the corner, well literally in days, I thought it would be the perf time to share one of my latest foodie addictions
I have a love for all things vinegar tasting, whether it be potato chips or plain ol’ pickles. Somehow that tart flavor profile always leaves me longing for more.
What’s fab about pickling is that the options are endless. You can pickle whatever you like with whatever vegetables or fruit you like and marinate them in any seasonings or herbs you like, and it can be enjoyed as a snack or topped on anything you like to add another dimension of flavor!
One of the first concepts I wanted to explore while venturing into the world of pickling is a cucumber salad. I’ve had a few varieties, mostly at restaurants, but the flavor is typically just sweet with not a lot going on and chances are.. there is a high sugar content.
What I love about this asian cucumber salad is that it has tons going on, yet everything blends seamlessly together. It’s a handful of accessible, affordable, colorful ingredients, encompasses a variety of textures, has a hint of spice, holds up in the fridge for an extended period of time due to the low pH, is perf by itself or on top of burgers, salads, and just about anything!
I find that it can be a struggle to make an effortless plant based snack with no processed ingredients, that’s affordable and can be made in bulk.
And then I explored pickling cucumbers!
If you’re looking for that perfect addition to your meals and a healthy snack to reach for.. You have to try my recipe for Pickled Asian Cucumber Salad!
Why this recipe rocks:
Minimal staple ingredients
Great topping for salads and sammies
Can be made in bulk
Non vegan approved
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 2 1/2cups
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 4 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
- ¼ cup of finely sliced red onion
- ¼ cup of rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 scallions (chopped)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- Add thinly sliced cucumber, sliced red onion, ginger scallions, garlic and sesame seeds to a medium size bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together rice wine vinegar, coconut sugar, toasted sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and sea salt. Serve immediately or cover and let sit in the refrigerator for an hour or two to let all the flavors meld.