Pink Dragonfruit Sushi Rolls
Hello & Happy Thursday!
As much as I love sushi, I’ll be honest, I’m not an iron chef at making it and it can be easily overwhelming. Prior to working with Lotus Foods products I actually loathed making rice as I felt it never came out right! However, I haven’t had a rice mishap yet with their products so that speaks volumes lol.
Before you go stressing about the process of making sushi rolls, remember that even if they came out aesthetically not pleasing, that’s not the point, it’s about the process and we all know practice makes perfect!
What I love about this recipe is everything! It can be made with any variety of rice, nutrient dense, vibrant, crisp, fun, spicy, aesthetically pleasing and captures the essence of spring and summer!
If you’re looking for the perf vegan concept that will make you look like an iron chef, you have to try my recipe for Asparagus & Avocado Rolls with siracha mayo!
Why this recipe rocks:
Affordable (minus the dragonfruit)
Great for entertaining
Want a seaweed version?!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 20 pieces
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2 cups Lotus Foods Jasmine Rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup defrosted Pitaya Plus Pink Dragonfruit
- 1 large sheet of seaweed (optional)
- 8 stalks of asparagus - 1 inch of ends removed
- 2 avocados - seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 cucumbers (peeled, seeds removed, thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart Vegan Mayo
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- optional garnish: Black sesame seeds and scallions
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the rice, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Cook until water is absorbed. Mix the sushi rice with defrosted dragonfruit and add additional rice vinegar if desired Prep the veggies. Lay out the rice on top of the sushi rolled covered in plastic wrap. Lay seaweed down first if you want a seaweed roll. Spread the rice on top in an even layer. Top in layers the cucumber, avocado, asparagus facing the same direction, begin to roll up. If using seaweed it will become more pliable within minutes of using. As you roll press everything together, but not too hard. Slice with a wet sharp knife going in one direction, not back and forth.
- Spicy Mayo: Combine the vegan mayo and siracha and top the sushi with it