Vegan Fajitas with Chimichurri Sauce
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
If there are two of my favorite things in this its world.. its tacos and fajitas!I personally love the flavor profile of anything spanish, anything packed with veggies, and of course lots of spice! So fajitas are just a no brainer.
You can make them with a varieties of veggies, spices, and make the veggies in bulk for later use!
While you can make fajitas in a variety of ways depending on your preferences, I love this classic vegan version with marinated portobellos, homemade taco seasoning and effortless chimichurri sauce! Also, there is something about grilled veggies versus sautéed that really enhances the fajita flavor.
For those not familiar with Chimichurri sauce, its one of the most straightforward essential sauces that pairs with a myriad of dishes, especially these portobellos fajitas!
If you’re looking for the perfect vegan fajita that packs flavor and presentation, you have to try my vegan Chimichurri Portobello Fajitas!
Why this recipe rocks:
Tons of veggies
Tons of flavor!
Can make minis to serve as an appetizer
Can be made in bulk
Chimichurri is amazing!
Eat Drink Shrink
Easy vegan fajitas!
30 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 2-3 large portobello mushrooms
- 3 bell peppers (I use all colors)
- 1 onion (I used red)
- 1 jalapeno (sliced in half, seeds removed, then sliced)
- 1 tbsp vegan worcestershire
- 1 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 minced chili in adobo sauce
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley (cut off thick stems)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 4 cloves of garlic (adjust to taste)
- 1 tbs crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 tsp spanish seasonings (cumin, chili powder etc)
- 1/4 medium white or red onion
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 6 corn tortillas
- Toppings of choice: avocado/guacamole, vegan sour cream, cilantro
- Chimichurrie sauce: place it all in a blender or food processor and pulse til smooth
- Remove stems of mushrooms, spoon out gills if desired, and wipe tops clean. Cut into about 1/3 inch thick slices. Take all the marinade ingredients and whisk together in a bow. Add the mushrooms to a large container and top with the marinade. Place in a grade and soak overnight.
- Thinly slice bell peppers and onion. Make taco seasoning by combining all the ingredients in a bowl. Heat a griddle and grill all the fajita veggies and top with marinade from mushrooms and taco seasoning. Cooker 7-8 minutes until soft. Top with additional lime as they cook. While the veggies cook prepare your toppings of choice. Lastly take the mushroom caps bottom side up and top with additional marinade and spices. Cook for 5 minutes, remove from heat, let slightly cool and slice.
- Warm the tortillas on the grill for more flavor and aesthetic appeal!
- Spoon the fajita mixture into the center of tortillas, and serve with toppings of choice.