Vegan Pretzel Wrapped Cheese Dogs
Hello & Happy Friday!!
This week has been on the busier side, which has left less time to develop recipes for Eat Drink Shrink. However, this was the perfect opportunity to whip out one of my recipes that was never released..
Vegan Pretzel Wrapped Cheese Dogs!
I know what you’re thinking, a little indulgent , not something you can “Eat and Shrink” lol. Perhaps that’s why I tucked this one away somewhere due to the fact that it incorporates ready made products. However, this creation is the perf vegan bite that will sweep even your non vegan friends off their feet!
What I love about this recipe is that although the dough may be involved, you’re using ready made hotdogs and cheese, a handful of ingredients to make the sauce, and the combination of all these components together makes for the perf modern vegan bite!
If you’re looking for that fun festive vegan bite that will please even your meat eating friends.. You need to try this recipe for vegan Pretzel Wrapped Cheese Dogs!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Only have to make the dough!
Non vegan approved
Perf for entertaining
Sauce is superb!
Eat Drink Shrink
60 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 8-10 vegan hot dogs
- Pretzel Dough
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt (reduce amount if using table salt)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 4½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 oz unsalted vegan butter, melted
- Vegetable oil, for pan
- Baking Soda Bath
- 10 cups water
- 3/4 cups baking soda
- 2 cups Follow Your Heart vegan cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp vegan Follow Your Heart egg powder combined with 1 Tbsp water
- Coarse kosher salt or Pretzel Salt
- ½ Cup of vegan Follow Your Heart Mayo
- 2 Tablespoons of agave
- 2 Tablespoons of Honey Mustard
- Very little Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons of Mild Dijon
- In a standing mixer mixer, combine warm water, sugar, salt & yeast. Stir and allow it to sit for 4-5 minutes.
- Once the mixture has risen slightly, put flour in the bowl of the mixer, add the yeast slurry, melted butter & using the dough attachment/hook kneed on low speed just until the dough comes together. Increase the speed to medium and kneed until dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl (about 4-5 minutes).
- Remove the dough from the bowl, spray it with non stick spray, then return the dough back into the bowl and cover with a tea towel. Let rise for 1 hour in a draft free, warm place, or until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 450F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and brush with oil. Set aside.
- Bring 10 cups of water & baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart sauce pan or roasting pan. Meanwhile, turn the dough out onto oiled work surface and divide it into small pieces the size of a golf ball. Roll each dough ball into a rope, top with cheese, and wrap it around the full length of the hot dog, pinching the ends onto themselves to prevent them unwrapping.
- One by one place the place the pretzel dogs into the boiling soda water for 30 seconds. Using a large slotted spoon or spatula remove them from the water and place onto prepared baking sheet. Brush on with vegan egg and water mixture and sprinkle with salt and additional cheese .Place in oven and bake until golden brown in color, about 12-14 minutes
- Mustard sauce: In a bowl whisk all the ingredients together. Serve with hot dogs.
- Store in refrigerator for 1-2wks