Hello & Happy Thursday!!
In all honesty, I think it’s been since 2007 that I first experienced risotto, and it wasn’t the vegan kind. If you’ve ever tried real deal, it’s amazing, rich, cheesy,..but heavy. While there are a myriad of vegan cheese options, some things are just hard to replicate.
A good risotto would be high on that list.
Your basic vegan cheese typically comes in the everyday varieties, such as cheddar, maybe a spicy cheddar, and mozzarella unless you have access to a fancy soft cheese, but flavors are not all too impressive. (except Miyokos, love her stuff!)
However, when it comes to creating a vegan risotto, the flavor is lighter, less cheese is needed, and the vegan parm actually work seamlessly with a risotto concept. I’ve worked with countless non dairy cheese varieties, and in terms of accessibility, affordability, and versatility, it’s my absolute favorite and mirrors real parmesan cheese in every capacity. (Don’t believe me? I use it in.. everything. lol)
What I love about this recipe is that even if you are terrible at cooking rice (myself), it’s a no fail concept as long as you add the broth in increments, seasonal, affordable, has minimal ingredients, and serves as the perfect side dish to your holiday meal! The only complaint I have is that it can look decadent when first served, but it can take on a more dried out appearance due to the lack of dairy based cheese as it sits.
At any rate it’s a great alternative to the classic risotto with half the calories! If you’re looking to give vegan risotto a try, you have to give this Pumpkin Risotto a go!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf for holidays
Non vegan approved
Yields 4 servings
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp olive oil or vegan butter
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cup Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup Follow Your Heart Vegan Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped sage
- 1 tsp fresh time
- salt, to taste
- In a 4-quart heavy saucepan heat olive oil or butter over medium heat until melted. Add onion, garlic, nutmeg; cook about 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Carefully add wine; cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Stir in snipped sage and thyme.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan bring the water and the broth to boiling; reduce heat and simmer. Slowly add 1 cup of the broth mixture to rice mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir over medium heat until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add another 1 cup of the broth mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add enough of the remaining broth mixture, about 1 cup at a time, cooking and stirring just until rice is tender but firm and risotto is creamy.
- Stir in pumpkin and the 1/2 cup vegan parm. Cook about 1 minute or until heated through, stirring occasionally. If desired, top each serving with additional parmesan cheese and sage leaves.