Pumpkin & Sage Rice Balls
Hello & Happy Friday!!
I don’t know about you, but there are a few things I’ve never been good at.. one in particular
You would be amazed at how many times I’ve cooked failed rice. If failed rice was a skill, well I would be “Boss” lol.
The reason I note this is first and foremost is to shed light on the fact that everyone has cooking struggles, but for myself I take them in stride and I always try to think of alternatives to save a recipe.
Thus the Pumpkin Sage Rice Balls were made (duh)
If you’ve never tried the pumpkin and sage combo with anything, than you haven’t experienced one of my top fave combos of all time.
For whatever reason, I feel limited as to what type of dish I would incorporate sage into, but with pumpkin & sage it’s comparable to peas and carrots, peanut butter and jelly, or avocado and well anything lol
It just goes..
If you’re looking for an effortless vegan dish that will make you look like an iron chef even if you can’t make rice.. (truth)
you will love these vegan Pumpkin Sage Rice Balls..
They are sweet, savory, cheesy, flavorful, affordable, and everything you would want in a ball. (promise)
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be baked versus fried for those trying to conserve their calories
Great for entertaining
Great for all those enamored with pumpkin, but craving something savory!
- 2 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 can pumpkin
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tbsp vegan parmasean cheese
- 2-3 tbs fresh sage (minced)
- 1/2 block Follow Your Heart Mozzarella
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 scallion minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- To make your rice balls, mix together 1/2 cup flour, sage, parmesan cheese, nutritional yeast, cinnamon, then add the pumpkin, minced garlic and onion, then toss the mixture on top of the cooled rice folding in the mixture and not mashing the rice
- Place oil in a large pot and set to high.
- Create two bowls, one with the bread crumbs and another with 1/2 cup the flour. Cut the vegan cheese into small cubes/slices. From the mixture shape it into balls and place the sliced cheese in the center and shape the ball around it. Lightly coat with flour then panic and set aside to fry.
- When the oil is about 350 – 375 degrees, add 1-2 balls at a time. (I recommend one at a time for perfection) Fry each for around 1 minute on all sides as you continue to turn it, until evenly golden brown all over.
- Carefully remove balls from oil and let drain on a cooling rack above paper towels until cool enough to handle. Repeat with the remaining rice balls. Serve warm and top with fresh sage.
- Heat until a light/me brown shade as it typically cookies the cheese at that point!