Vegan Rosemary & Garlic Solid Cashew Cheese
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
I don’t know about you, but I love fancy cashew cheese! However, I don’t love the hefty price tag that comes along with it. As someone who likes to create everything from scratch, I decided to finally give solid cashew cheese a go!
I know what you’re thinking though, …It sounds complicated, and.. I can’t possibly make this as I’m not an iron chef!
Pump the breaks, I promise the process is seamless!
What I love about this recipe is that it has minimal ingredients, makes a large portion, affordable (agar flakes can be pricy but go a LONG way), flavorful, has great presentation, can be made with whatever flavor profile you desire, and is non vegan approved!
If you’re looking to explore the world of solid cashew cheese, you have to give this recipe for vegan Rosemary & Garlic cashew cheese a go!
Why this recipe rocks:
Tons of flavor!
Can be made with whatever flavor profile you like
Makes two full size portions of cheese!
Can be made into any shape
Yields 2 Full Blocks
Effortless Solid Cashew Cheese
25 minPrep Time
3 hrCook Time
3 hr, 25 Total Time
- 1-1/4 C raw cashews
- 1/2 C nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 to 2 tsp salt, to taste
- 3-4 garlic cloves w/drizzle of olive oil
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart vegan parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp minced rosemary
- 3-1/2 C almond milk
- 1/3 cup agar flakes
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 1/3 C light (yellow or white) miso
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350. Cut the ends off the garlic and coat with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt, wrap in aluminum foil and bake for 25-30 mins.
- Place cashews in a bowl of hot water for 5-7 minutes. Strain for water and place soaked cashews in a large-sized bowl of the food processor and finely grind to smaller bits without forming a paste. Add nutritional yeast, parmesan cheese, onion powder, salt, garlic powder, roasted garlic, rosemary, and pepper. Pulse 4 more times to blend in spices.
- In a large saucepan, combine almond milk, agar flakes and olive oil. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to low-medium, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. (should thicken after 5)
- With the food processor running (if possible), gradually add the almond milk mixture to the crushed cashews. Blend for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add in the miso and lemon, and pulse again. The cheese will thicken quick, so be careful it doesn't burn out your food processor. Transfer to a mold. (I used a glass bowl/cup, but anything can work just as good). Place in the fridge for 2-3 hours. The longer the better. Once formed remove from the container and slice into two to make two servings. Top with additional spices, rosemary, & parmesan cheese and serve.